Put 8 New Injectors In - Didn't Make a Difference - Poor Power Problems

FlySAR

Reaction score
Revisiting issue regarding lack of power

Recap - Donor truck swap of non turbo 6.9 that was in a 86' F250 w/ a T-19 into my 87' F350 C6 that had a 6.9 that blew a head gasket. Prior to the swap the donor truck seemed to run well & had a lot more uphill power then my 87' just before it blew the gasket. Completed the swap & I can't pull a hill, empty, doing much more than 35 - everyone is passing me - I did not change anything.

As someone suggested I installed NEW & tested Delphi BB Injectors & a fuel filter, bled all the air out of the system, fixed my ignition issues (recent thread, thx) & got ready for the big moment this afternoon - Injectors didn't make a difference that I can tell - big disappointment.

My local shop said they have to send the injector pump in for testing & that would be $100+, is there anything else I might be able to do before I start dropping the big bucks for an IP & find out that's not the problem either?

You know, when I originally bought this truck in 95' I put a 1-ton camper on the back & pulled a minivan behind it to Alaska & back, plenty of power -- I just want that truck back.

Del

Last edited:

FlySAR

Reaction score
I have not checked the timing - I'm debating the cost of buying a pulse adapter as mentioned on this site or taking it to a shop.

I know that could be the culprit & it is certainly the easiest next step but I figured because I hadn't adjusted it during the swap it should be fine - poor assumption, I guess.

Another thought - could my transmission be slipping & is there a quick way to test it - The heat coming from the hump when I'm cruising will run you out. Though searching some threads said slipping manifests itself when the fluid has warmed up & my lack of power is cold or hot.

Thanks for the tip, I'll get the timing checked

Del

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Call your local Ford or IH dealerships. A lot of them keep the pulse timing equipment just because there is still demand for IDI IP replacements so the probably wouldn't charge that much to time it...My local Ford dealer still has IDI IP demand quite often.

FlySAR

Reaction score
is your heat something new, sounds like the problem there.

I'm not real sure; when the AC didn't work, within the last 2-3 yrs, we really noticed it. Over the last 12 years I've only put about 60,000 on the truck & most of those were short trips. But when we did get it out on the highway it gets warm, the access panel is hot to the touch (had the carpet out).

I guess I should add calling the transmission shop, along with the Ford dealership tomorrow.

Del

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you still have the IP from your blown motor? You could try swapping that. timing should not have moved from the other truck if the Ip, nor the gear cover have been loosened or removed. Something definitely isn't right. Are you turbo on non turbo? Good luck,
JD

aaklingler

Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about the timing or anything else you didn't touch when you changed motors, for now. I would try to figure out where the heat is coming from, maybe the torque converter.

RedTruck

Reaction score
Does it start well?

Have you checked your tranny fluid level after your swap?

Paul

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Where can you buy the pulse timing gear?

You can get a Ferret pulse adapter here for about $160, and you need any advance type timing light to use with it ( it changes injection pulses into electric current so it can be read by an induction pickup for a timing light, then you time it like a gas burner )

The things work great.

--------Robert

FlySAR

Reaction score
flysar ,where are you located?

I live in Coos Bay.

It starts fine & transmission fluid is full.

Thanks for the info on the pulse timing adapter.

I'm taking it by a tranny shop today for a look see. I read some posts regarding modulator stripe color & there were several answers - green, red, purple, black - which is the best color?

I'll keep you posted, thanks for the replies.

Del