pumping wmo

BioFarmer93

OPEC Hater
Reaction score
;SweetDitto on the pulleys for gpm, I also have a valve on my pickup line so I can "starve" the oil pump very precisely when I'm recirculating so as not to overrun the filter bag's flow through speed and make a mess. As the oil heats and blends you can gradually increase the gpm by opening the pickup valve more. With the pickup valve wide open it will easily flow 4gpm or better.

:eek:I honestly don't see how you can afford to thin with kerosene, it's over $9.00 a gal. here... You MUST be getting a better price.
Thinking about the difference in pump speeds required for different objectives (transferring vs. filtration) one thing that could be done is to get two multi-sheave pulleys and put them in opposite orientation on the pump shaft and motor shaft. That way you could change ratios like on a drill press or 12 speed bike, especially if you put your motor on a pivot plate like Billy's and mine are where the motor weight keeps tension on the belt.

bab029

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What about thinning with gasoline? Or would this cause problems with early ignition?

BioFarmer93

OPEC Hater
Reaction score
What about thinning with gasoline? Or would this cause problems with early ignition?

There was a thread here during the winter that mentioned that and gave the government spec on it as no more than 10% by volume, however that was a limit allowable in military diesels and mixed with straight diesel fuel. From personal experience I have mixed 3-5% in a ~45% diesel/50% WMO blend in the winter with no ill effects.

phazertwo

Die Summer DIE!
Reaction score
I am interested how you guys mix. I am looking ad building a mixer that will help me portion properly and mix the thinking agent (diesel, Kerosene, what ever) with the the WMO. You guys just dump it in drums and go?

PZ

BioFarmer93

OPEC Hater
Reaction score
I am interested how you guys mix. I am looking ad building a mixer that will help me portion properly and mix the thinking agent (diesel, Kerosene, what ever) with the the WMO. You guys just dump it in drums and go?

PZ

I got lucky, since I use the plastic barrels that have the graduations in 5 gallon increments molded into the sides, I just shine a flashlight in the bung and see how much oil is there so I know how much diesel to mix.

I'm not particularly trying to sell anyone on how I do it, but there is a lot to be said for the recirculation method since it filters over and over and mixes at the same time. Besides, bag filters are inexpensive and last for thousands of gallons especially if you put a 5 micron bag inside of a 0.5 micron bag.
This is where I get mine, as you can see, their prices are very good. Don't waste your money on anything over 5 micron.
http://www.filtersource.com/store/listCategoriesAndProducts.asp?idCategory=28

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score

That's one of the beautiful things about a diesel. The fuel isn't injected, until the piston is at top dead center on the compression stroke. Pretty-much makes early ignition impossible.

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
damn guys thanks for all the help now I just have to get out there and make it all happen, and I prob need to add some of those bag filters to my collection, with how fast my holley blue pumps this mix it prob wouldnt over fill them, my 15 micron goldenrod didnt quite do the job on the few gallons i got from the motorcycle shop, fuel filter clogged and now the e pump seems to be groaning a little even with a new filter so Im gonna pull it all down and check the screen on the pump, judging by what was in the fuel filter I bet its stopped up bad.

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
damn guys thanks for all the help now I just have to get out there and make it all happen, and I prob need to add some of those bag filters to my collection, with how fast my holley blue pumps this mix it prob wouldnt over fill them, my 15 micron goldenrod didnt quite do the job on the few gallons i got from the motorcycle shop, fuel filter clogged and now the e pump seems to be groaning a little even with a new filter so Im gonna pull it all down and check the screen on the pump, judging by what was in the fuel filter I bet its stopped up bad.

You might try pre-filtering it in a 50+ micron bag, before running it through the Holley. Those Goldenrod filters are fairly decent at catching water, but 15 microns is a bit too big for me. When I made my filter setup, I made it so the oil would go through the 5 micron, 1 micron and then the Goldenrod..

BTW: I got three barrels from a motorcycle shop one time and it didn't run very well in my truck. I have no idea why.. It was the cleanest and water-free oil I have ever gotten!

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
I agree on it not running well I have been dumping oil changes from all vehicles in the tank since i got it and it worked fine, but it didnt seem to like the stuff from the motorcycles, I know the guy is an amsoil dealer and its a high end speed shop so maybe it was all synthetic, and a lot of the bikes he does are carbuerated(sp). dont know if that makes a diff or not

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
so I need a new source for wmo, that guy told me not to come back again because I took up to much of his time even though I explained to him that I have a different pump that will actually move the oil. So anyone that is near stephenville texas and has a good source for oil let me know. I would be willing to split some of the filtered 50% diesel/ 50%wmo with you if you can find me a source.

and also I need a dc motor to run the pump I know Im looking for something at pretty good rpm but I dont know how much hp I would need, all I really found on ebay was those micro motors that are little bitty and I just dont think they would have enough hp to move the pump.

Last edited:

jonathan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i say let that guy pay someone to take his wmo. put a ad on craislist that you wont wmo

j2005

Reaction score
so I need a new source for wmo, that guy told me not to come back again because I took up to much of his time even though I explained to him that I have a different pump that will actually move the oil. So anyone that is near stephenville texas and has a good source for oil let me know. I would be willing to split some of the filtered 50% diesel/ 50%wmo with you if you can find me a source.

and also I need a dc motor to run the pump I know Im looking for something at pretty good rpm but I dont know how much hp I would need, all I really found on ebay was those micro motors that are little bitty and I just dont think they would have enough hp to move the pump.

i have been looking for a dc electric motor for a little while now and have found nothing...maybe i could get a broken tread mill and link a pulley from the power steering pump to the tread mill and get the oil and a workout in?

m67tang

Full Access Member
Reaction score
has any one here ever used a pneumatic transfer pump. I see them on fleabay and the idea is cool

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle