Pump test bench

ken74amx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am going to build my own test bench to experiment on a few spare pumps that I have. Wondering what every one thinks?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well I'm wondering what you are attempting to do. The calibration machines for these pumps costs way up there. So I'm wondering how you will determine if what you do is a benifit or not. It is interesting anyway. So I will help if possible with answers to questions you may have. Actually Mel is the resident expert on these pumps around here. At least I feel that way....:sly

NMB2

Dunce
Reaction score
Ken @ DPS has a test/flow bench for the DB2 pump. You could try to get a hold of him for information.

ken74amx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have looked at a few benches online and they are very basic. From what i can tell its a tank that is heated to maintain fluid viscosity. A motor to spin the pump with a rpm sensor and zero backlash coupler. The pump is attached to injectors that are calibrated the same that dump into graduated cylinders. A low press pump to provide fuel. A gauge for transfer pressure and a high pressure gauge for output pressure. The only thing I haven't figured out yet is how to measure the timing for the advance. I have all the specs from ford for the pump adjustments and a manual for the pump thanks to the oilburners members. If there is something I missed please let me know. Any ideas on how to measure the timing advance? This stuff is tech from the fifties so i think people should be able to figure it out. Thanks for the help and keep it coming!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I'm not understanding just how timing advance or retard will change the amount of fuel delievered during a fuel pluse....:dunno

ken74amx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It doesn't but the advance is adjustable and i want to visually see how diff fuel pressures change pump timing

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
if you keep an eye on the gubermint auctions, test benches for these pumps show up every once in a while. There usually isn't a big call for the things since most injection shops already have what they need and wouldn't want surplus equipment anyway. You may have to chase a bunch of cob webs and june bugs out of the thing though :D

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
I thought about this too... My question is "how much horsepower does the pump need to operate"

If you're planning on just doing a 1:1 drive, you need some way of varying the pump speed. Thats where a VFD comes in handy (Variable Frequency Drive)

Then you would use a 3-phase 208 motor, with a 120 single phase VFD to run it. Unless you have 220 service in your shop.

Otherwise you are going to need to look for a mechanical speed variator. Like a variable sheave or something similar. I personally like the VFD because its simple, and very accurate. VFD's will compensate for the slip in the induction motor so you can fine tune your drive speed nicely.

;Sweet

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why could you not get the timing setup that people use to time the engine when it's in the truck, and use that? Put a reference mark on your pump drive system, and use the pulse sensor around one of the injection lines for the injection reference. If you had a lathe, you could make a round piece to simulate a crankshaft damper, and then get one of those stick on timing tapes that summit racing sells. You just have to make sure the disc you make is the proper diameter for the tape you buy. Speaking of which; I am wondering if the damper on our engines is a common diameter that would match one of the timing tapes they sell? Then you could stick the tape on the damper and use a regular timing light with the ferret timing device instead of the dial-type timing light.

ken74amx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was thinking of going about the timing that way also. Just have to dig around and find the meter and all the parts. I know it's here somewhere. And yes on the vfd, it is almost a must have. I feel I have this mostly figured out so now to start gathering everything i need to build it.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
I'm not understanding just how timing advance or retard will change the amount of fuel delievered during a fuel pluse....:dunno

i am not sure how it works but it does. my truck could "roll coal" since i bumped up the timing a little for the new injectors. well turns out i was at 14 deg when Mel timed it this weekend. he set it back to 9 and now the only way i can get some black smoke is lugging it off the line. it made a huge differance in the amount of smoke i made.

no other changes were made, just a timing tweak.

dsltech83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i am not sure how it works but it does. my truck could "roll coal" since i bumped up the timing a little for the new injectors. well turns out i was at 14 deg when Mel timed it this weekend. he set it back to 9 and now the only way i can get some black smoke is lugging it off the line. it made a huge differance in the amount of smoke i made.

no other changes were made, just a timing tweak.

On your truck it just changed the amount of time fuel spends in the combustion chamber- your fuel was still burning on its way out-thus the black smoke.

Last edited:

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
The static timing does effect the pump as it establishes the baseline for the part-throttle advance/retard mechanism.

Too far advanced or retarded and the pump will behave differently, as you apply the accelerator the part-throtle cam changes the internal timing. Same is done via internal intermediate pressure changes, that's why the timing is affected by the fuel supply pressure so much.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
On your truck it just changed the amount of time fuel speds in the combustion chamber- your fuel was still burning on its way out-thus the black smoke.

that would be the case if it were after TDC, this is going from 14 BEFORE TDC to 9, so the fuel actaully spends less time there now.

sorry to de-rail, just an example of something i would like to see answered. Mel did post up some pics of the rig his builder used at one point.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ZTSpridgen

Members online