Pulley tool

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I have one just like it and don't like it. The one I always use has two jaws that fit around the hub on the pulley and then a sleeve slides over them to keep them from spreading. They had them at Autozone the last time I was in there for about the same price as the one you have pictured ($20 or so) made by Performance Tool. I can get you a picture of mine if you like. At any rate, I have pulled the legs over the pulley hub using the one like you have pictured. My preferred one is KD or OTC and was NOT $20 though, but I have used the ones from PT with the same results. My dad bought one to keep at his house once when we needed it, probably hasn't been used since!!! :)

Here is what mine looks like!

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
you might possibly be able to get the pulley off with that if its not stubborn (most are) and i could see it messing up the internal threads. it wouldn't work at all for pressing the pulley back on (and i would not use a hammer for that the bearings wouldn't live long). i have the autozone tool also which works fine for the few times i need it and it was about the same price.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Nope not really, tried that one first and the nuts where too short to hold the size it the pulley ring (?). You can use the ones sold at the autoparts 'power steering pulley kit', I used that and worked perfect to remove and replace the pulley.

madcj8

Reaction score
I second that motion, the first time i tried to replace it i used one of my dad's three jaw pullers and really jacked that pulley up. I then bought a PS pump puller on a farm auction and it worked WONDERS :D and it is a small enough case that i just leave it in my tool box