Pull starting... Any tips?

osokusmc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
F

For what one of those things costs you could just buy a little honda car to drive back and forth when its this cold. Holy cow they're proud of those little generators!

I used to have a little $500 Subaru 4X4 wagon for that purpose. Now I hardly drive anywhere without needing a pickup, if I was working a wage job again, I'd get me another Subaru.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I'll tell you starting gas powered generators and such in below freezing temps is a beach.

But running the block heater off a generator does work.

Sent from my USCC-C6721 using Tapatalk

TWeatherford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll tell you starting gas powered generators and such in below freezing temps is a beach.

Those Honda suitcase generators always started fine for me, but they should for the $2-3k price.

osokusmc

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Believe it or not, I have pull started my 6.5k diesel gen at around 15 degrees. I can't seem to keep a good battery in it even though I start it three or four times a year, so I thought I'd better try out the rope start and I got it on the second pull.

leswhitt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a little Norther Tools 1200W generator that I picked up for $60 ish on sale a couple years ago. For the times when I need to start my truck(s) in the storage lot, the genny does the trick. I haven't had too many cold starting issues, usually 9-10 pulls in -10 degree weather is all it needs.

osokusmc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I usually keep a little catalytic propane heater in the vehicles during winter, the ones that screw on a one pound bottle, and I figure one of those would heat up a generator enough to get it started so you could plug in. Might not be handy for everyday at work, but I'm thinking if you ended up staying the night somewhere that you couldn't plug in to shore power. Our grocery runs vary between 130-190 miles each way depending on where we go, and one of those trips could turn into an overnight deal where I might need to use a block heater to get started in the morning.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadScientist

Members online