PSP for a Hydroboost setup

marmot

On the bench
Reaction score
Hey folks,
I am planning on a hydroboost install in the near future on my 93 f250 and was wondering if there is a recommended PSP. I need a new pump right now so I want to install a high quality pump that will have sufficient pressure and flow to support steering and braking with the HB. Thanks
Marmot

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
search the tech articles.
the PSP for a HB has 2 return nipples in the resivor tank.

marmot

On the bench
Reaction score
Well thanks for the help, I have been following the linked thread and it is interesting , but what I am looking for is more a summary of what years and models had hydroboost compatible PSP's and MC's that will bolt into my truck. I did a bunch of searching and consider myself somewhat educated NOW there is a butt load of info on hydroboost on this site, most of which says stuff like "get you an OBS(old bullsh*& er ???:rotflmao) and the psp bolts right up to a bricknose as long as you get the widget off a psd... Someone must know or have dredged up from the posts on here what vans, busses, or trucks had the correct parts for conversion of a 1993 f250 to hydroboost. If anyone knows I'd sure appreciate it.

jay22day

Dunce
Reaction score
HB=hydroboost. Your welcome but read the ENTIRE link jasper share of the thread i started, it has the info your searching for, but not a list of eery make and model, it was essentially a commercial application

Last edited:

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
HB=hydroboost. Your welcome but read the ENTIRE link jasper share of the thread i started, it has the info your searching for, but not a list of eery make and model, it was essentially a commercial application: f450

Remember, this only came in the Brick and OBS trucks. The fender badge will say F-Superduty, it WILL NOT SAY F-450. Ford did not use the F-450, F-550 designation until the 99+ Trucks that are marketed as a Super Duty.

You must be registered for see images attach

Note the 7.5 on the second picture is something that an owner put on there, they normally do not have that.

jay22day

Dunce
Reaction score
Remember, this only came in the Brick and OBS trucks. The fender badge will say F-Superduty, it WILL NOT SAY F-450. Ford did not use the F-450, F-550 designation until the 99+ Trucks that are marketed as a Super Duty.

opps, learn something new everyday, thanks for the correction snicklas!

marmot

On the bench
Reaction score
Ya I figured that out HB acronym but missed the OBS till I figured it out just now Got the first word tho:D. SO I did reread the thread just did not grasp an acronym or two. I am now hunting for an old body style F-superduty 87-97 (I missed a bit of ford f250's post) PSP that I can use with a MC from the same truck. I did not want to hijack your thread with my questions so I posted up a freshy. Snicklas thank you for the information that will help my hunt out quite a bit. Cheers,
Marmot

Last edited:

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
No problem...... just didn't want someone wandering around a yard looking for a Brick or OBS F-450 and not find one......

The F-Superduty trucks also have 10 lug hubs, they were ALL 2wd from the factory (there are some Marmon-Herrington 4x4 F-Superdutys out there that were converted for utilities (Power Company, Ma-Bell, and maybe for fire/emergency services).

They have a Rockwell Carry-all solid beam front axle and a Dana 80 rear axle with the lowest ratio being 4.88, most were 5.13 or higher. They are also 4 wheel disk brakes, however, there is no emergency/parking brake provision on the axle. They use a driveline drum brake that is mounted on the back of the transmission. Actually the transmissions used in the F-Superduty are a 4x4 transmission, but instead of having a transfer case bolted to the stern of the transmission, the driveline brake was bolted up. These things may look like a pickup..... but trust me, they are NO PICKUP. They have something like a 14,500 GVW. Calvin (towcat) has some pics posted of his F-Superduty Rollback that is "pushing" the GVW.........

These trucks will take a lickin and keep on ticking. Calvin has said he has spent many years in his tow trucks, with his foot on the floor, on the governor (in the F-Superduty "on the governor is something like 62 mph) day in and day out for YEARS!!!!! He has an F-Superduty (I thinks its a Super) that has a documented 800,000+ miles on the chassis..... "things" have been replaced over the years...... but the chassis has "been around the block" a time or two.......

marmot

On the bench
Reaction score
Cool wish I could find a 4x4 crew cab that would be one cool truck. Well just surfed over to Rockautohttps://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1367142 and found that the pump, master cylinder and HB and PS lines are available for decent prices. I'm starting a hydroboost piggy bank right now looks like about 200$ and change for all new hoses and MC + PSP. Now I need to hunt for a pedal... Is that all or am I missing something I would need from a yard?

Last edited:

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Let me see if I can find it, but Al (riotwarrior) has a thread about the differences in pedals by generation, but for some reason I think the OBS Vacuum Pedal and the Hydroboost pedal is the same..... let me go look for that thread.

But as for parts, you would need:

Pump, or res. with 2 return ports - I think that LCAM has posted that in his truck the Tee'ed return caused him issues...
The Hydroboost "booster" - the part that bolts between the master cylinder and the firewall
The F-Superduty Master Cylinder
The supply line to the booster - High Pressure
The return line from the booster - Low Pressure
The proper Pedal - If your current one does not match.....

Also, if any brake lines look questionable, I would have some brake line on hand for repairs. Once you do the conversion, if there is a weak spot, the hydroboost WILL find it....... Per Gary (icanfixall) the vacuum braking pressure is around 1100 PSI, the hydroboost braking pressure is 2200 lbs.......

Here it is: it is one of Al's TECH 101 articles. This will give you an abundance of info on the pedals.

http://www.oilburners.net/forums/sh...-101-86-down-87-91-92-up-Std-pedal-assemblies!!

marmot

On the bench
Reaction score
The booster is also available from rockauto for about 100$ so about 300$ in new parts and a pedal, for twice the brake pressure that sounds like a plain old good deal. Thanks again for the clarity on the hydroboost.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726