PSD into 92 IDI. What'll I need to make this a painless swap?

troupp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like the title says, I have a clean straight truck, can't deal with the lack of power much longer. I'd turbo the IDI, but I think that's just waiting for daylight seeking parts. So, what's needed to run the PSD in the 92 body? I have a salvage yard nearby that specializes in ford- ford diesels. So getting harnesses and computer and such shouldn't be bad. I guess the best question is can I keep my existing dual tank and selector valve setup, with the frame mounted electric pump to feed the PSD, or do I need to swap everything. Thanks for the help, I figure I'll have less money doing a swap than replacing the truck. maybe I'll be wrong about that though.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
obs psd's still had a mechanical pump buried in the middle of the "V" in the block. it's a mixed blessing. at least you can still run the IDI fuel system, but you'd better be careful when you do service the pump.
one more thing, just for *****-n-giggles you just might want to test drive a obs psd before you get too involved in the project. The performance is very underwhelming. My company ride was a '97 f450 psd and you didn't make any power under 2500rpm. only time it felt like it had any power was when you were bouncing off the governor.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Like the title says, I have a clean straight truck, can't deal with the lack of power much longer. I'd turbo the IDI, but I think that's just waiting for daylight seeking parts. So, what's needed to run the PSD in the 92 body? I have a salvage yard nearby that specializes in ford- ford diesels. So getting harnesses and computer and such shouldn't be bad. I guess the best question is can I keep my existing dual tank and selector valve setup, with the frame mounted electric pump to feed the PSD, or do I need to swap everything. Thanks for the help, I figure I'll have less money doing a swap than replacing the truck. maybe I'll be wrong about that though.

Your best best is to go looking for a 12 valve. I hate saying that, but the swap to a PSD will not be painless. And a Turbo IDI and a stock PSD are basically the same powerwise. You won't be gaining an appriciable amount of HP. You can mod the PSD but...........modding the PSD is not cheap. Chips and injectors cost $$$$. If you simply want power.......follow the herd to a 12 valve cummins.

Heath

troupp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've already thought of that route, but the trans adapter, and intial cost to do the swap aren't going to be in the budget, Since we have a REALLY good working relationship with the salvage yard I thought this would be the better solution. I had a 12v complete truck lined up at one time to be a donor for $1500, but the truck has since disappeared.

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
best bet is a complete donor truck, will need all the wiring etc.
the tanks and selctor valve will work fine.
as for base power a psd isnt much better than a turbo idi.
but for a few $$ in a chip 100 + hp is attainable.
and injectors are not thaty expensive any more.
dollar for dollar I can make more HP in a PSD than an IDI.

ne_plus_ultra_1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just did the opposite swap: IDI turbo into 1997 f350.

Fuel lines in different locations, exhaust very different diameter, downpipe different, must splice radiator hoses or replace radiator, 1992 will have completely different through-firewall connectors and you'll have to cut holes in firewall. Mine was from a 1995 so it was easier, I just obtained the underhood and in-cab wiring harnesses and they pretty much hooked up.

Take lots of pictures. Lots. Both of the donor vehicle and the original. When I removed the dash assembly I took out a lot of screws that I didn't need to, I only found out later; live and learn.

You have to drop the steering column too.

Take out the engine and tranny as a unit, remove the front cab mount bolts, jack and support. Obviously your radiator support will already be removed. Your fenders will be sticking up in the air with the cab at such an angle but it will make removing the engine possible without separating it from the tranny. Do all your wires and hoses and steering column first.

Don't forget that the throttle pedal will be fly-by-wire, not cable.

You'll be back and forth for several days probably so you would do WAY best if you had the trucks next to each other.

I have the wiring harnesses and computers you'll need actually. I have a lot of PS parts I am about to ebay in the next few days.

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
I just did the opposite swap: IDI turbo into 1997 f350.

Take lots of pictures. Lots. Both of the donor vehicle and the original. When I removed the dash assembly I took out a lot of screws that I didn't need to, I only found out later; live and learn.

You have to drop the steering column too.

Agree on the pics ....but....drop the column :confused::dunno

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agree on the pics ....but....drop the column :confused::dunno

to get the dash out.look in the IDI forum.there are pictures there somewhere of my idi with the dash out when the wireing burnt up in it.

but what the OP really needs is a complete donor truck to sit next to his truck.there should be no holes needed to be cut or anything.they dont make differences like that for stupid reasons.they did change the shape of the fire wall connector a few times over the years though..

i done a 92 gas to 93 IDI.wasnt bad.had to chane all the wiring in the dash and all that for it to be done correctly.but it wasnt a hard job at all.

ne_plus_ultra_1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
94f450sd, The through firewall connectors are different and of a different shape as well. If you can put a square peg in a round hole, be my guest. I personally can't figure how you will put different shape connectors through the firewall without cutting.

And for geonc, the column has 4 nuts and it lowers down. This both allows you to jack up the cab in front to pull the engine without pulling the steering shaft in two pieces under the hood and also allows two connectors to be removed from between the column and the bracket more easily. Also, I found it easier to remove all the wiring from the steering column, several connectors, with it down. Could it be done without removing it? I dunno, I had trouble trying to remove everything with it in.

ne_plus_ultra_1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool.

Actually I just got my dash assembly back in a few minutes ago. I had trouble making it go into place and had to drop the steering column back down again, disconnect the main harness from it and unplug the through-firewall connections, attach the entire harness to the back of the assembly and then I finally got it to fall into place.

I may actually be able to turn the key later today!

I am going to wire a push button for the glow plugs as I hate the automatic control and it and the relay are both bad anyway. So new relay and some wiring and button, connect a few more things underhood, finish up the dash components and maybe, just maybe...

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
no matter what you do to a psd you will not gain much over an extra 75HP until you do an injector swap.

I have to agree and disagree.
, on my 00 it was 185 stock. and I was able to make 307 with a chip , stock turbo and stock injectors.
but on an obs I never dynoed any of mine with stock injectors,

ne_plus_ultra_1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, lots of parts. Is there anything in particular that you are looking for.

Wait, did I just hijack the thread? OK, never mind that.

Just PM me if there is something you are looking for and how much I should sell it to you for.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online