Propane?

Blk03PSD

Reaction score
What is the scoop on LPG fumigation? Does it perform as advertised? Not necessarily looking for the increased power, but better economy and cleaner oil / exhaust. :confused:

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No one has bitten on this question yet, I feel unqualified to do it but I will take a stab at it.

Does it perform as advertised? Yes, it probably does but its a dicey game. Trucks go boom with propane, your 03 has the PMR rods which are weaker than forged. They are known to break and put windows in blocks.

My two cents, stay away from drugs unless you are OK with buying parts and rebuilding engines.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i dont trust the prpane systems.with the way my luck goes a solenoid or valve could screw up and fill my engine with propane and then my engine goes boom.

with the PMRs you need to stay under the 400HP at the wheel mark or you will be buying some nice new curtains to go with the nice new windows in your block

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No one has bitten on this question yet, I feel unqualified to do it but I will take a stab at it.

First I've noticed this post for some reason.

Yep it works, used it on a CAT 3406B and a Cummins Big Cam III

I notice that Swamp's has deleted the propane article from their frequently asked questions page some time back.

Me, I'd go water methanol route before using propane. I've seen diesels run away on propane before and it ain't pretty. I think too much water would just drown it and make it run like crud before it finally flamed out and/or hydrolocked.

I have hydrolocked an engine before at about 1500 RPM, running through deep water, and it bent 3 rods but I don't think the water injection could put quite the volume of water my intake sucked up all at once.:***::oops: :idiot:

Blk03PSD

Reaction score
Good advice all. I am not considering it myself but my father, who has an 01 2WD, heard it would improve mileage and was curious about it. Thanks

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
There was a member that used to go by Beretzs ( Scottie) that installed LPG on his IDI a little over a year ago. Once he got it dialed in (professionally I think) he had no problems. Said it made a HUGE difference in power & he was running 37's Super swampers with I think 4.11's I guess it depends on how you use it.

He had some other motor problems after the LPG install that required selling the truck, but IIRC the problems weren't LPG related.