Propane injection how to?

txquigly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good morning all.....
I made my own propane system that I put on my Scout with the Benz turbo 5cyl in it. I used a double ended air cylinder/servo, taper ground the shaft for a progressive flow, then hooked one side to manifold pressure and the other side to the output side of my propane regulator. Works Great!! On the next one, I'm going to use a pressure compensated diaphragm regulator for more positive adjustment.
A couple of things:
YES, you can completely GRENADE a diesel engine, turbo or not, with propane!!! When setting my initial flow on the Scout, I put a grill tank in the seat with my regulator and adjusted the max flow in the cab, then mounted it remotely. I was able to adjust the flow and actually make the engine detonate like a gas mill....sounded really Narley/expensive. Anyway, using a regulator instead of a jet, I went to detonation point, then decreased flow by a couple liters/min and was fine.
The air cylinder concept worked, but wasn't as adjustable as a spring regulator would be. It's strange, but it would leak just enough LP by at idle to give it such a complete combustion at idle it smelled just like a powerstroke!
LPG really does work well....mileage and power is really increased, smoke is really decreased and the fun level is bumped up a bit....oh, turbo spools faster too!
It is tricky to work with though....if you can't afford any mistakes....don't play with it, but with great risk comes great rewards!!!