Programer for IDI?

George D.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know not electonic I was just woundering what the duty cycle is on the cold start advance solinoid? if it could be use to advance the timming at will in theory it should work and if you only use it for a short time the soinoid would be fine. The reason I was thinking about it is I've run my timming where it would run likr a ***** ape on flat ground but hills or towing would make the EGTs go way up so I was thinking I could flip it on when I wan't a litle more power around town empty and just leave my pump where it is still pulls hard but has manageable egts towing. but would like to know how easy it would be to burn up the solinoid if I drove with it on too long. Or if any one thinks running with diffrent body presure caused by the solinoid would hurt the pump running for longer than just warming up? Thanks

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
I use to toy around with wiring the advance all the time and when the engine is cold it defently has alot more power when the advance is on then after it kicks off but i noticed after the engine was hot i could really feel anymore or less power if i wired it up so i just left it alone, but i have always run pretty high timing so my case may not apply

George D.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my timing is all ready pretty hot and now that you mention it I don't realy think it advances the timming much but it was just a random thught had while messing with the cover from a pump I'm taking apart for fun.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can definitely wire up a manual switch for it - I had that fort a while, not intentionally but I installed a switch for the fast idle without using a diode to isolate the cold advance - all fine and dandy when engine was relatively cool, but once fully warmed up when I flipped the switch at idle she'd revv up on her own, kinda as if she was trying to go runaway... Diode was installed and issue disappeared.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The cold advance solenoid is energized for the length of time that the Hi idle solenoid is energized, the Hi idle solenoid is energized until the coolant in the pass side head reaches 120*, never timed it but seemed like about 5 minutes. You could prolly energize it forever.

Edit 2:30AM The cold advance solenoid also controls the internal case pressure along with the fuel inlet pressure regulator on a cold start.

Attachments

• DVC01370.JPG
    DVC01370.JPG
    288 KB · Views: 5
  • DVC01374.JPG
    DVC01374.JPG
    280.3 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member