Powerstroke waste gate

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
George,
Mine ain't sick but what would I need to do to get those cures on my truck?

Remember I do live at the beach.....:D:rock:-Showtits

At this time of year :eek: it's 33 frickin' degrees this morning :moon: cookoo LOL

The quick fix is to simply un-plug it--it requires current to actuate...permenant
fix is to remove turbo/pedestal assy, remove plunger and piston, drill and tap, and plug pedestal where rod comes thru, shorten rod, re-seal end cover and install---of course this path is a wasted trip if you don't also re build the turbo [esp if you have some oil consumption/ bluish smoke], install new up pipe doughnuts and completly gut the EBPV flap and plug the holes, drill and tap the turbo for a pyrometer....

about a good days work ;Sweet

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
what a convenient time for this topic to come up.....;Sweet
I have a 10/98 F350 in my posession right now with a bad turbo. Two of the exh housing bolts fell off and caused the housing to lock up the impeller. The whole thing is off right now and I have a chance to deal with the EBPV acutator. Out of curiousity, what harm is there is wiring open the flapper and cutting the acuator rod and keeping it plugged in?

Attachments

• SL372517.JPG
    SL372517.JPG
    289 KB · Views: 4
  • SL372514.JPG
    SL372514.JPG
    288.9 KB · Views: 4
  • SL372524.JPG
    SL372524.JPG
    285.8 KB · Views: 4
  • SL372525.JPG
    SL372525.JPG
    292 KB · Views: 2
  • SL372522.JPG
    SL372522.JPG
    289.5 KB · Views: 2
  • SL372523.JPG
    SL372523.JPG
    291.7 KB · Views: 2

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
Yeah,
I don't think mine is bad yet..... I do have up pipe leaks? How does my turbo look?

Attachments

• Picture 025.jpg
    Picture 025.jpg
    295.5 KB · Views: 7

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Out of curiousity, what harm is there is wiring open the flapper and cutting the acuator rod and keeping it plugged in?

No huge harm Cal, what you might find though is that the actuator arm may develop an oil leak from just dangling in air. I had mine unhooked like this for awhile and ended up developing the leak. If youve got the turbo on the ground right now just pull the piston/actuator, take a 1/4" pipe tap and tap the hole where the rod comes out and run a pipe plug into it and be done with it.

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
Homer beat me to that Cal :D.....but in addition, re-seal the opposite end of the piston bore---where the snap ring cover is.

You have the EPBV exposed so just cut the rivets, nip out the shaft and use a 3/4" cup plug....

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
I had to say it... left for work today and could hear it (EBV) close and open low power and all. did it again tonight had to run check a pump house all the way there it was fine, start back up to come home and it kicks in and stayed on for a good min till it cut off. i guess it is time to pull the fan and block off the grill?

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i guess it is time to pull the fan and block off the grill?

No, I'd say its either
  1. Time to clean the EBS tube
    or
  2. Time to unplug the EBPV solenoid
    or
  3. Time to mechanically unhook the actuator arm and wire the butterfly open
    or
  4. Time to gut the pedistal and gut the turbo outlet housing
    but dont block off the radiator, its not truly an engine heat problem.

I believe the PCM looks at three conditions when making a decision to operate the EBPV.
    • EOT (engine oil temp)
    • IAT (intatke air temp)
    • EBPS (exhaust back pressure sensor)

howards@howard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Exhaust valve

The rod on the valve will break soon anyway so disconnect it and bailing wire the valve wide open.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online