Powerstroke waste gate

Rosyruby

Doug
Reaction score
I just bought a 1996 Powerstroke and it has what looks like a vacuum operated rod to a butterfly on the exhaust side of the turbo. Is that a waste gate? If not, what is it? Did they come stock with it in 96?

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
that is the exhaust back pressure valve.
basically it closes of the exhaust when cold to help warm thee engine.
also used for the exhaust brake mod

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
And no, the 94-97 powerstroke did not have a wastegate. They got them in 99.

jdchristian3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what controls the actions of the backpressure valve on a 99?my wifes comes on and stays on in the cold. it will tiake up to 30minutes of driving before it cuts off. you cant get over 35mph, cant tow any thing. etc... my duramax company truck has one and it cuts off if you touch the brake or accelerator. the duramax also has steps to take in the owners manual to cut it off... the ford doesnt... any input?

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
seems to be a 99 thing with the ebv shutting when cold, and being annoying.
only thing ya can do is unplug it, the plug is in the pedastal of the turbo.

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
seems to be a 99 thing with the ebv shutting when cold, and being annoying.
only thing ya can do is unplug it, the plug is in the pedastal of the turbo.

Nick, not limited to the first gen Stuper Dupys .....Hell, mine would come on right after shifting -cuss

I know of 4 OBS that suffered the same ailment...and all were cured by me , along with gutting it, pedestal mod, the Cat and muffler ;Sweet

I did try using one for an exh brake......so long as you use it above 3k turns it seems to do something......but not worth the hassle so out it went :D

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nick, not limited to the first gen Stuper Dupys .....Hell, mine would come on right after shifting -cuss

I know of 4 OBS that suffered the same ailment...

Make that 5, my 95 was a victim also. I drove with it unplugged for a while, then I unhooked the actuator arm and wired the flapper open until the actuator arm developed a leak. Finally I just gutted the flapper and pulled the piston out of the pedestal and plugged the hole.

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
you guys are right, most of my former experiances were with the SD,s so I forget about the OBS trucks at times.
But my 95 had the same ailment, thats why its hooked like a ex brake.
my 96 has no valve anymore.

foxman

foxman
Reaction score
If you can find the Harvester turbo stand it does not have the provisions for all that EBPV and does not require the plugging. Hence - loss of potential oil leak. And a removal of the shaft and butterfly and replace with two small expansion in exhaust completes this mission.

Crumm

No Comment
Reaction score
OBS - Old Body Style

EBV - Should be EBPV - Exhaust Back Pressure Valve

Out of control valve is normally caused by a clogged sensor tube. There is a tube that runs from the passenger side exhaust manifold up to a sensor on the front of the engine. The tube gets plugged with soot and doesn't let the sensor know that you are pushing on the throttle.

jdchristian3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
read my "Bogged Down" thread in the 7.3L power stroke section. i'm the last person to post. this is almost a year of problems. im a ford man to the hilt, but my duramax company truck gets better every 15degree morning at 5am... i also have a (gasp) 6.0L... under factory warranty til 200K or 2011, which is first and i've had no trouble from either expect fuel fitler b/s on the jimmy. that high pressure is killer when modern fuel aint worth the cotton paper that US dollars are printed on...

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score

I know of 4 OBS that suffered the same ailment...and all were cured by me , along with gutting it, pedestal mod, the Cat and muffler ;Sweet

I did try using one for an exh brake......so long as you use it above 3k turns it seems to do something......but not worth the hassle so out it went :D

George,
Mine ain't sick but what would I need to do to get those cures on my truck? Remember I do live at the beach.....:D:rock:-Showtits

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
George,
Mine ain't sick but what would I need to do to get those cures on my truck? Remember I do live at the beach.....:D:rock:-Showtits

Rumor has it that a case of beer might just do the trick......:D

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
OBS - Old Body Style

EBV - Should be EBPV - Exhaust Back Pressure Valve

Out of control valve is normally caused by a clogged sensor tube. There is a tube that runs from the passenger side exhaust manifold up to a sensor on the front of the engine. The tube gets plugged with soot and doesn't let the sensor know that you are pushing on the throttle.

After the signal [or lack of] goes to the MAP sensor---follow the boost line from the right bank intake to the firewall ........

that was the first thing I checked when mine started acting up in '03....it was plugged so I reamed it out with an old speedo cable chucked up in a drill and lots of PB blaster....didn't help the EBPV issue so it just got unplugged till I had to pull the eng when the timing cover chit the bed, then I did the mods .

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7