Powerstroke engine rebuild shop manual

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have suggestions which one I should buy. Planning to pull heads, have them rebuilt / valve job then reinstall. I realize it may sound like a simple job for some of you however I never worked on a powerstroke before and want to do the job correctly. Thanks!

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
curious as to the miles you've got needing a rebuild?

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Engine has 128,000 miles however while cleaning up the exterior prior to installing I found one of the cylinder heads has rusted thru near an exhaust port. I'm not aware of any repair method therefore I'm planning to have two replacement heads completely refurbished which requires disassembly down to a short block. I've never worked on a powerstroke before therefore I'd like to get a good shop manual that describes proper disassembly and reassembly. I bought one however it's simply far too generic.

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
never heard of that.... pics?

Those heads are HEAVY. If the engine isn't in the truck it's not too bad.

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Photos on build thread "crewcab project". When I talked with the machine shop, they've seen it before. You can also "Google" it and read about others with same exact problem. The unfortunate truth is it's not repairable, cylinder head replacement is the only fix, hence the need for shop manual describing engine rebuild.