Power out of a 12 valve

1977fordf150

Reaction score
My brother just brought a 1997 12 valve cummins and he was goin to be pullin and racing. What would get him up to around 400 hp at the wheel and 1000+ lb-ft:dunno

Whit

Reaction score
he will need a bigger turbo, injectors and a fuel plate, advanced timing to 18*, air intake and 4" exhaust.........Oh and a pyro and boost gauge too................ifin he has a auto tranny he will need a better TC and VB

kas83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Auto or Manual? With a manual, those numbers can be seen with a 35/40 hybrid or Super B turbo, timing, AFC mods, and a 4k GSK. Stock injectors with a 215 pump are capable of it for sure.

Cost would be however cheap you could find the turbo, and buying the GSK. You can time it yourself, and the AFC mods are free if you own a grinder and screwdriver. And unless you plan on o-ringing the head, play it safe and only go to about 16* timing.

Auto will require more motor mods, as well a stout converter and valvebody like already mentioned. But either pump is plenty capable of those numbers with relative ease and low investment.

Biggest investment with a truck used for pulling and racing is the transmission for the power level you're talking. A good dual disc clutch and upgraded input will be necessary for the manual. A good triple disc converter, billet input shaft, billet flexplate(if rules require sfi rating), and valve body for the auto.

1977fordf150

Reaction score
It is 5 speed trans and Im goin to buy all new engine parts. How do u get a diesel to lope. I already have a super B turbo.

Last edited:

kas83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not that I recommend it, but you can get one to lope by setting the governor springs one or two clicks looser, if it's a 4k. Really getting it to lope would require a well setup, high flowing pump, larger lines and large injectors. IMO, don't do it, but it is your truck.

Whit

Reaction score
a 24 valver can lope easily by installing oversize injector tubes and lines .084 lines and .120 transfer tubes

For the P-7100 .093's are ok on the street,lope a tad bit and loose a little power on a dyno and make daily driving a bit more interesting.The .120's are a real PIA on the street,kill dyno numbers and the constant loping makes daily driving a challenge,however,if wide open throttle is where you run they will make the best choice but thats not me.

dmaxexpress

12v cummins
Reaction score
it all depends on what class he wants to run. depends on your area. in my area 400hp would not cut it to be competetive.