Power levels

JamesF250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2002 7.3. What are my stock HP/TQ numbers (at the rear wheels)?

If I add intake, exhaust, and chip, what numbers can I get w/o generating a lot of smoke?

If I add a set of mild injectors, what would the numbers be?

At what point do I have to start worrying about the strength of the tranny? And at what point does the turbo start to be an issue?

morepower02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guages, Chip, Intake and pipe will put down around 330 rwhp. I believe stock rwhp is around 200. The tranny will hold that if it it is not abused. Anymore power than that and you will want a better tq. convertor. The rods in your truck will not hold with upgraded injectors. I put the rods out of a 1999 in mine.

Swany

Consiglieri
Reaction score
JamesF250 said:
I have a 2002 7.3. What are my stock HP/TQ numbers (at the rear wheels)?

If I add intake, exhaust, and chip, what numbers can I get w/o generating a lot of smoke?

If I add a set of mild injectors, what would the numbers be?

At what point do I have to start worrying about the strength of the tranny? And at what point does the turbo start to be an issue?

The chip will push more smoke out, unless you only keep it around 60-80 hp (a handheld programmer). It's better to understand how much more HP you want as opposed to pushing out less smoke. Modding your rig will have to burn off the fuel somehow, it's usually through the pipe too.

Dieselmaster

Diesel addict
Reaction score
Like Swany said... your gonna get smoke from a chip or tuner pushing more fuel to the cylinders... the inability to burn it all off is what creates the smoke..

I have only heard of the Diablo tuner causing excessive smoke on lower HP settings... like the 60-80hp area... The others all seem to about the same.

My old SC with an 80hp program was barely more than stock for smoking... The new chip.. Diesel Innovations 4-way... is about the same on the first two settings... 60 & 80 .. barely any smoke still plenty of power... the next setting - 100hp - is a definately more.. infact if I don't use a Cetane booster it's much worse.. infact I get dirty looks from people sometimes if I lug it to much and then jump on it...

Now the 120hp setting... all I can say is - you can tell this was programmed down south where they have lots of mesquitos because this thing on 120hp is like a fog machine...

With the Tranny... the best thing I ever did for the truck was to put in a Transgo Shift kit... Before if I floored the truck it sounded like it was trying to go somewhere but it just didn't move very fast to get there.... Now.... even with the 37's I can still make it bark jumping into second gear... Not to harsh but very firm and positive. Because it stops the long dragged out shifts the tranny doesn't heat up as quickly or as hot...

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
JamesF250 said:
I have a 2002 7.3. What are my stock HP/TQ numbers (at the rear wheels)?"

If it's an auto, I would say 190-200 RWHP
If it's a 6 speed, I'd say 205-215 RWHP

"If I add intake, exhaust, and chip, what numbers can I get w/o generating a lot of smoke?"

I would say ~275 RWHP on a moderate chip, some smoke. ~300 on a hot chip, might have substantial smoke, though

"If I add a set of mild injectors, what would the numbers be?"

Depends on the chip & programming. Typical range would be 325-400RWHP. I hit 377 with mine, then I got my programming & fuel system upgrade and went over 400RWHP, but I also have a Hypermax turbo.

"At what point do I have to start worrying about the strength of the tranny?"
You can kill your tranny in quick order with only a moderate to hot chip. You'll have to take it easy on an auto. A 6 speed should fare better. Once a hot chip or injectors go in, better get your tranny done.

"And at what point does the turbo start to be an issue?"/QUOTE]

Your turbo isn't designed to handle much more power than a chip would produce. As a general answer, I would say any chip & injector combo is cause for a turbo upgrade.

JamesF250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dieselmaster said:
With the Tranny... the best thing I ever did for the truck was to put in a Transgo Shift kit... Before if I floored the truck it sounded like it was trying to go somewhere but it just didn't move very fast to get there.... Now.... even with the 37's I can still make it bark jumping into second gear... Not to harsh but very firm and positive. Because it stops the long dragged out shifts the tranny doesn't heat up as quickly or as hot...

Any tranny kit (i.e. Sonnax, Transgo, FTVB) helps the tranny by increasing line pressure and reducing the amount of time that the clutches are slipping - is that correct?

In order to truly "strengthen" a tranny, you have to replace the torque converter - is that also correct?

JamesF250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Swany said:
The chip will push more smoke out, unless you only keep it around 60-80 hp (a handheld programmer).

Is there a difference in the cappabilities of a chip and a programmer? I thought the only difference was that the chip was instantaneous and a programmer took a while to load.

morepower02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In my opinion If the tq. conv. is replaced with a Suncoast or a like model and a Transgo or like model is installed they will hold almost anything. I have never had any issues with the Suncoast convertor and the transgo pump and shift kit.

Swany

Consiglieri
Reaction score
JamesF250 said:
Is there a difference in the cappabilities of a chip and a programmer? I thought the only difference was that the chip was instantaneous and a programmer took a while to load.

Both the chip and programmer reprogram the PCM to achieve whatever results they were targeted for. There isn't much of a difference between the two except one is blatantly obvious (the chip, plugs into the PCM) and the tuner (programmer) uploads through your OBDII plug by the ashtray.

A programmer may take up to 15 minutes to load but you'll get the same affect, instant power like a chip.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7