Power brakes/headlamps

mikeboggess

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, thanks to all, especially DesertBen44, y'all saved my bacon on a non start issue. Now my brakes (power) work sometime, sometimes not. Is it the power booster? Is it as simple as the check valve on the power booster. Is it the slave cylinder? Next question concerns the headlights. Where is the best place (OK, I'm cheap) to buy these? Everyone around here wants 200.00 apiece.

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
What year truck? (Not in your sig)

Ebay for bricknose headlight housings. $180 for a pair and they can be had individually.

How does the pedal feel when the brakes aren't working?

mikeboggess

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1991 7.3 I.D.I., pedal is hard. I will check your info. on headlights, have you any experience with those headlamps? There are some that are not worth buying. TYC makes some reliable parts. Is bricknose a brand or description?

Sparky95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bricknose is in reference to the truck body style. The one with turn signals on the side instead of on the bottom of the headlight.

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
They look/feel pretty solid. Mine are still in the boxes until I get the new body panels painted and mounted. They definitely have that heft to them.

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"Bricknose" is a reference to the '87-'91 GENERATION of truck. So called because the segmentation of the grille resembles (more than the other trucks) stacked bricks.

Hard brakes - first thing to check is the vacuum pump. Does the truck have A/C?

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Best way would be with a vacuum gauge. Should be at least 20 inHg at idle. Poor man's check would be simply to remove the hose and feel if it's sucking.

When you use the A/C, and switch modes, do you hear the various "doors" moving as you expect? Does the air come out of the selected location(s)? The A/C mode controls are operated by vacuum as well, so if the pump is bad, your A/C usually "defaults" to blowing only out of the windshield vents.

mikeboggess

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All the a/c vents are working. When I select floor/vent etc. the air route changes immediately.

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
That's a good indication that the vacuum system is sealed up and working. I would start by taking the vacuum check valve off the booster and check it. Suck air through it the way the system does, but then try to blow through it. If you can't blow through it, I'd replace the booster.

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
That's why I said to test the check valve first. Always check the cheapest things first so you do end up just throwing money at problems.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Members online