PO$ PSD

budtoh3zo

Reaction score
well the old IDI had to come rescue my PSD. for some reason it needed a boost. It would not start under its own cookoo batts tested good under load of course disconnected to test them. stupid computers.

Pacific

Gravel Rat
Reaction score
You gotta remember the PSD has to spin over more to get the oil pressure up to fire the HUEI injectors not like the old IDIs if the GPs work and you got fuel she will fire.

Personally I'am looking for a 95-97 PSD I need more power and hoping for better fuel economy. The old IDI is good but she's a little too slow to try keep up with the traffic on the roads nowwadays. Put a load on my truck and its a turtle I have troubles maintaining the speed limit of 60km/hr.

budtoh3zo

Reaction score
it was firing just would not stay going. and i only get 2 mpg better and it had lots of oil pressure. i had to cranking for 30 sec let it rest for 5 min tryed again still not go. said hell with this got the old idi started up one crank went to just try to boost just for something to do and it worked.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You might have a current loss at the battery cable terminals. You might try cleaning them up good.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Youve got a cable problem.

budtoh3zo

Reaction score
Brand new Pos cable and cleaned the ground all up. could be deteroated inside does not look like it though. I got 2 grand CAN into it trying to solve it.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
budtoh3zo said:
Brand new Pos cable and cleaned the ground all up. could be deteroated inside does not look like it though. I got 2 grand CAN into it trying to solve it.
You wanna translate that for us so we understand what you said? That way maybe we have a slim chance at helping you out here.

Swany

Consiglieri
Reaction score
You might have a bad battery, that'll cause the problem too. It takes two to run those diesels!

budtoh3zo

Reaction score
I replaced the positive batt cable all the way to the starter, cleaned all the ground connections. I have replaced the CPS, batterys, GP, Some days it will start on its own others it will just crank trying to fire but wont make it then i boost it with something like a 2 amp trickle charger will do it.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Alright, now we have a better grasp on what you have done, maybe we can help you out. I've also relocated this thread to the 7.3L forum so the right folks will chime in.

Are the cables between the batts good? Consider changing the ground cable to a new one.

DmaxEter

Meet Mike Hawk
Reaction score
Mine did the exact same thing when I put the transmission in it. I left it sitting for about two weeks and my radar detector ran the batteries dead. I charged them at work all day and took them home an put them back in. It would spin over just fine, but it wouldn't fire up. I watched the idle control box and it would say the voltage was 12.9 just sitting there. I unhooked the glow plugs so they wouldnt be draining on initial key on. I hooked the girls excursion and the neighbors truck to it for another 30 minutes and still the same thing. I didnt think there was anything I could have left loose while puting the trans in. I ended up pulling the battery off the thunder bird and putting it on the dually and it fired up like nothing ever happened. I put the battery back in and drove it about an hour to a friends house and it wouldnt crank on its own over their either. Luckly we were able to boost it off. I drove it home and its started every time since. Never hooked the glow plugs back up if this deal goes through with the dodge dealer today then I wont have to. :Sly

budtoh3zo

Reaction score
i drive it everyday nothing pluged in. the voltage does not drop over night. I got them load tested today and they passed. there 1000CCA to. I will hook it up to my 800cca booster pack and it will start

Doggy Daddy

Reaction score
How does it run after it finally starts? I am wondering if there could be a glow plug problem (relay, plugs, under valve cover harnesses). If it is rough and has a lot of white smoke when it starts (or a lot of white smoke while cranking) I would suspect something in that system.