Plugging return side of fuel filter elbow

adyszel

Reaction score
Is there anything wrong with doing that? I'm trying to find where my fuel lines are grabbing air. (Supply or return) I don't want air feeding back into the injection line. 1985 6.9

Last edited:

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what I've seen that seems to be a common "solution" to air intrusion issues (yes, I'm guilty of it too), however you must know that if you do plug it then if you ever have an air intrusion before the fuel filter the air that can normally be purged through the elbow you speak of will now all end up in the IP, which I can't imagine is too good for it.

adyszel

Reaction score
Before I try that solution... I'm going to see if putting transparent hose from it to the return lines sheds any light on the issue.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just remember if you see air going towards your filter head when running, that it may be getting pushed in with the fuel. It's only when the truck is shut down that air there is coming from the return lines for sure.

fastass350

SStock8569
Reaction score
Mine has been plugged as well, when I pulled the feed line off the IP and put in a rubber sort of line to fix the ever leaking steel line. I had to put a different 90 on the filter housing, so I lost the nipple for the return hose. This was 5+ years ago, and never noticed any ill effects. Thought I've never had air/fuel issues where I would need that port to try to diagnose something.