please tell me i dont need a rebuild

cewofford

7.3 IDI Turbo
Reaction score
I haven't been driving my idi turbo much lately but it seems to be consuming excessive oil and coolant. the rear main looks to be leaking but not terribly. I checked the coolant this evening and its been awhile since i have and it was nearly two gallons low. i drive it 50 miles a week and it goes through one to two quarts of oil per week. It starts great seems to have plenty of power but i am very concerned with the excessive coolant consumption. the rest of the truck is pretty sweet so id like to keep it but cant afford $5k for rebuilt engine.

idi traveler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
need more info. Does the truck white smoke like its burning coolant, aor smell like it's burning coolant? Is the CDR valve fuction, how much blow by do you have, is the CDR filling with oil? Is the truck blue smoking? Tell us what it you are seeing. If it's cranking quickly, does it run smoothly or run rough? give us something to work with. Cuz your in the right place.........

cewofford

7.3 IDI Turbo
Reaction score
black or blue smoke at start up a lil rough idle at startup then smooths out quickly. i notice some smoke when idling i would say black or blue. has some blowby. diesel injection shop says it has some but not too bad.

65sixbanger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you want to fix it right and make it a tight, brand new motor.... I would rebuild it. At least new rings, rods and mains. Might want to check sidewalls for cavitation. And the coolant consumption scares me.....

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Coolant consumption would be the first thing to look into. Can we assume you have no leaks, and that you do not smell coolant anywhere, including the exhaust? If this is true, then you may unfortunately have a situation where you have caviation low in a cylinder wall, and just have not had that particular piston stop at the very bottom. If this were to happen, coolant would get into your oil and be burned off as your engine runs. Sending your oil to Blackstone for analysis would be the first thing I would do. If you have coolant in your oil, they will be able to tell you. Another thing you could do, and this would take a while, but you can drain your oil, and then using shop air presurize your coolant at 14 PSI and then just wait. Perhaps over a very long weekend... for coolant to come out of the drain pan. The oil analysis is probably your best bet though.

pdfhick69

Patrick.free
Reaction score
i would deffinately send an oil sample in, it cost about 20 bucks around here so its well worth it, but if you do need a rebuild and have the ability and tools to do it your self you can get master kits from NAPA for about $2000.00 with pistons, and around 1400.00 without new pistons. i suggest new pistons but its a big price jump

Pat

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if you can't afford a rebuild now, how about buying a good running but battered bodywise f250 and swapping the motor over? I've noticed in TX, the bodies are trashed long before the motor gives up.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
sixbanger,

I believe INO referrs to a restaurant in California called In-n-Out. I have heard they are very good. A couple of people I work with are from Cali, and have even gone as far a having a friend Fed-Ex them INO back here to Indiana.... I however have not had a burger from INO....

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
sixbanger,

I believe INO referrs to a restaurant in California called In-n-Out. I have heard they are very good. A couple of people I work with are from Cali, and have even gone as far a having a friend Fed-Ex them INO back here to Indiana.... I however have not had a burger from INO....
scott-
i can ruin you:D
just pm me an address;Sweet
My daughter found the photoshoot she did with the whole INO menu;Sweet

LA350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cheap test for water: Heat a hot plate to 212*F plus. Drop about a dime to nickle sized drop on to the hot plate. If it bubbles and/or crackles you have water.