Plastidip truck?

mntwins7

Broken 6.9
Reaction score
Anyone ever plasti-dipped their truck? I was thinking about going totally black. I wanna see what it looks like or if anyones done it

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Uhm....that would be referred to as rock guard or bed liner and yes it has been done
Yes and no.
Plasti-dip is just like a paint, but you can peel it off whenever you want.
It's not like the original Plasti-dip for tools you're probably thinking of.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
I've seen it done on a focus. Came out pretty nice and it cleans up well whereas rhino liner does not. Wouldn't put it on anything that your going to work or play with though. Is meant to be able to peel off.

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You might want to look into this stuff. It is tough and repairable but does not get "chalky" or faded like bedliner. I painted my big, fiberglass truck cap with and it came out great. It can be rolled on or sprayed with an undercoating gun, which is what I did.http://www.monstaliner.com/

KZF250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My kid uses it a lot on motorcycle parts...easy to freshen up or peel off if your over it.

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive done a few cars... It holds up well unless going offroad (brush/limbs will scratch the dip and cause it to peel easily). As long as the surface is clean/dry, its very easy to apply and lasts for years.

Problem becomes cost when doing a large truck. A small car takes 3 gallons to get enough coats on for peelability. A fullsize truck would probably take 4-6 gallons.

You may also look into Raptorliner. Its a bedliner type material (diy spray on and is tintable to any color) which holds up really well and cleans easy. A buddy of mine did his CJ7 with it inside and out and its been abused for years without any hiccups... cleans up nice enough to still take the jeep to shows. I'm planning on using it on my flatbed crew cab come spring.

Runningaford

Reaction score
I'm not sure about the bedliner, or undercoating products, but plasti dip is 100% oil soluble. If it gets diesel, or any other solvent on it, then it breaksdown. Once that's the case, trying to match it, without it looking 'patched' is difficult. Also, if in a hot climate, short of any solvent, it's a pita to get off.

Not knocking it, I did the black highlights on my truck with it first, as I wanted to be able to remove it should what was in my mind's eye not be the greatest thing once on the truck..... Worked great for that. I've left it on, it still looks okay, but I've been really careful with any lubes, such as wd-40 since then(actually was spraying wd-40 on a project close to the truck, and the overspray droplets ate holes in the plastidip).

On larger surfaces though, which I've tried, at least in my case I couldn't get it to blend very well, and you could see the different coats; I think paint is a lot easier to feather in.

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup... gas/diesel will liquefy plasti-dip. As far as touchups... its best to peal the panel and spray the whole panel again.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok so there is a platidip paint product hmmm

Thanks fer schooling me guys...now to learn more bout it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online