pivot bolt question

romulus

Reaction score
in the quest to completely overhaul my front end i am soon to replace my pivot bushings on my dana 50 ifs. i just finished all the ball joints and rod ends and still have a clunk on a certain bump on my road. going to do the leaf spring bushings too.

i have the bushings from energy suspension.

for those who have done it, what condition were the pivot bolts in?

i can envision them being oval or worn on one side. have not taken them out yet and was thinking of getting some from the stealer before i get under the truck.

does anyone know where to get them besides the stealer?

thanks

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the worst pivot deal I ever saw was at the 2001 Ford-Diesel.com rally in Louisville. I forget the member who owned this truck, but his pivot bolts had worn all the way through the bushing sleeve, and were well into the rubber. And he wondered why it steered funny. :rolleyes:

02x72

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im looking for some new ones too. Try a local CAT dealer or Fastanall. Your'e right, if your'e bushing is worn, the bolt will be too

plywood

Recovered N/A
Reaction score
I did mine and definitely didn't have to change the bolts.

To my recollection there is a sleeve that protects the bolt unless you wore through that, but I think the bolt sleeve would wear through the outer bushing ring first.

02x72

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not always. Mine wore through the bushing and left the sleeve intact. The bolt seemed to have taken the brunt of the damage on my truck

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
in the quest to completely overhaul my front end i am soon to replace my pivot bushings on my dana 50 ifs. i just finished all the ball joints and rod ends and still have a clunk on a certain bump on my road. going to do the leaf spring bushings too.

i have the bushings from energy suspension.

for those who have done it, what condition were the pivot bolts in?

i can envision them being oval or worn on one side. have not taken them out yet and was thinking of getting some from the stealer before i get under the truck.

does anyone know where to get them besides the stealer?

thanks
where in norkal are you at? I have two good bolts from a D50 kill I just done.
best if you drop in to pick them up. I rarely have time to take stuff out to ship.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online