Picked up a new to me 1988 F250

chance1

Reaction score
Recently I picked up a 1988 F250, pickup looks like it has been taken care of. The motor appears to be stock with about 345,000 (owner said), owned since new and done small little modifications to it. Body is in great shape, has a lift on 37s with 4.88s and ARB (f/r). Still running the crappy twin I-Beam front axle which is in good shape. My pickup is also running two AC pumps and the secondary one is for onboard air and is being utilized for the ARBs.

The pickup is not a daily driver and this last week I noticed it struggles going up steep hills, almost like it’s an air or fuel problem. I changed out the air filter and fuel filter both looked good but switched anyways. Still has the same problem and its throwing a little white smoke, sometimes the smoke is hard to see. Any help trying to figure this issue out would be great.

Future plans is going to be some sort of turbo set up and to switch the front axle with a Dana 60. It’s only used as a tow rig.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to OB

First sounds like a great rig but this thread is useless without pictures.

Second FAQ and start here are good sections to read and use search too.

How full are fuel tanks? There is a known issue with tanks at 1/4 full ...showerheads...again search is your frie d.

Is the IP and injectors original? Any grey pai t on injectors? Could be time for a refrezh of fuel system.

Looking forward to seeing this fine truck.

chance1

Reaction score
Thanks for the input and for the last couple hours i have been reading up on commen issues within this network. from what i have been reading, i have alot of maintenance work to do along with switching out stock parts.

If anyone is local to the Tacoma area I would appreciate some help and i will try and upload some pictures later.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 87 struggles on any incline.i often have to drop to 3rd.2nd if pulling any size trailer. Stock These dont pull like a powerstroke,5.9 cummins or a gasser v8.they pull about like a 250 straight 6 lol

chance1

Reaction score
I sure hope that's not commen for a pickup unloaded to almost come to a complete stop while climbing a steep hill.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well not a complete stop. Empty mine will go from 70 to 45 on any slight incline

DougL

Reaction score
They're slow. Mine does alright. pedal down +2500+ rpm + 1000-1200egts = 65mph.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alleycat

Members online