Picked up a complete turbo kit for $96 dollars

jay22day

Dunce
Reaction score
i believe the "wicked wheel" is a TP38 (PSD) turbo wheel upgrade

ive never heard of an ats wheel upgrade referred to as a "wicked wheel"

maybe some one else has but cant say i have, i would question ANY ebay listing and its validity

i believe those are garret turbos and they take garret wheels so the thought of anyone "branding" a wheel seems silly to me

Last edited:

X-NRCan_IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i believe the "wicked wheel" is a TP38 (PSD) turbo wheel upgrade

ive never heard of an ats wheel upgrade referred to as a "wicked wheel"

maybe some one else has but cant say i have, i would question ANY ebay listing and its validity

i believe those are garret turbos and they take garret wheels so the thought of anyone "branding" a wheel seems silly to me

Mel sells the wicked wheel here http://conestogadiesel.com/products/ford.html

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good score, Dieselsite does have a wwIDI for these now. No results yet. I hope your new comp wheel is not chinese, I have new oem garrett in stock. Also if you are gatting a generic 3 inch outlet for a T3 it likely wont fit as the ford/ats turbo is its own bolt pattern.
I also Have the correct drain grommets in stock, bought out some IH surplus. WOOHOO.

I would like to see the link to that housing.

jay22day

Dunce
Reaction score
Good score, Dieselsite does have a wwIDI for these now. No results yet. I hope your new comp wheel is not chinese, I have new oem garrett in stock.

I learn something new ever day! ^^^ thanks Russ

do you think the "wicked wheel" differs from the upgrade you offer russ? Is it practically the same thing or did immense designing go into the "wicked"?

I would be skeptical of anything off ebay as much of its china made as russ mentioned.

EDIT:Has anyone else noticed it says "No modification required" if thats the case, if you purchse a wicked wheel the wheel size must be the same size as the stock wheel??? I take it all they did is "play with the fins"?

with that being said i think i would opp for a better "upgrade" but thats jsut me

Last edited:

blakpete91

Reaction score
I learn something new ever day! ^^^ thanks Russ

do you think the "wicked wheel" differs from the upgrade you offer russ? Is it practically the same thing or did immense designing go into the "wicked"?

I would be skeptical of anything off ebay as much of its china made as russ mentioned.

EDIT:Has anyone else noticed it says "No modification required" if thats the case, if you purchse a wicked wheel the wheel size must be the same size as the stock wheel??? I take it all they did is "play with the fins"?

with that being said i think i would opp for a better "upgrade" but thats jsut me

The ebay link was just a vendor I found. Here is the actual website for the wicked wheel. From what I understand you just drop it in and go.

http://www.dieselsite.com/wickedwheelforthe7.3LIDI.aspx

I held out on the compressor wheel until I can do a little more research. As for the housing I ran across this... http://idiperformance.com/93-94 Factory Downpipe Upgrade.php

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know my wheel works, I have a wicked wheel here for a customers turbo, it is pretty, it is the same size as a stock wheel, I havent weighed it yet but someone who has says its the same as stock.
I am toying with the idea of a billet wheel for my mod, it is lighter by a little.

jay22day

Dunce
Reaction score
I know my wheel works, I have a wicked wheel here for a customers turbo, it is pretty, it is the same size as a stock wheel, I havent weighed it yet but someone who has says its the same as stock.
I am toying with the idea of a billet wheel for my mod, it is lighter by a little.

hahaha i think they invested most of there manufacturing time and resources into making it "look pretty" as for marketing benefit, but thats just my speculative opinion on SAME SIZE wheel upgrades that are "drop in" . Do you see a drastic difference in wheel fine design?

I feel like the banks wheel for the tp38 and the "wicked wheel" for the ATS (and tp38) are just marketing scams, as without different wheel dimensions (at the very least, without a larger inducer wheel diameter) on a compressor wheel, change in performance would be pretty minimal?

whats your opinion on this russ?

Russ have you ever used and/or had success with the To4b upgrade wheel on the ATS turbo? or is that wheel getting to mismatched when it comes to keeping a reasonable relationship between compressor and and turbine wheel sizes?

blakpete91

glade to hear you held off on the wicked wheel, personally i feel there are much better wheel options if you wish to TRULY upgrade.

jay22day

Dunce
Reaction score
I held out on the compressor wheel until I can do a little more research. As for the housing I ran across this... http://idiperformance.com/93-94 Factory Downpipe Upgrade.php

just want to let you know you can make that down pipe that r&d offers, thats what he does, takes the stock ats downpipe, cuts the 2 1/2 inch flange off the downpipe (and far enough back that the diamater of the pipe is 3 inch) then weld on a v-band clamp.

ive been thinking about doing this on ones i acquire as i THINK thats the only difference between the stock ats and the aftermarket (old) kit

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If memory serves the wicked wheel started as a clone of later PSD inducers, so that earlier PSD customers could "upgrade" I'm not sure what sort of R&D has gone into them since then... typically those billet CNC'd impellers are lighter than cast ones, increasing system efficiency a bit by decreasing the rotating mass in the turbo. Some of the later PSD wicked wheels are billet.

The name kinda just stuck across the different diesel applications as one of the first drop in wheels.

Good score on the kit, any way you slice it!

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You know, you really got a deal. At the very least you have the start of a turbo, getting things rebuilt or replaced and spending some coin for parts or labor, you still come out ahead of a lot of kits out there. Plus you know that your setup has been refreshed and is ready for some spinning.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes that is one heck of a deal. I thought I was getting a steal of a deal when I picked up my ats 088 for $350 (almost complete kit). Just a few weeks ago, the same turbo kit as mine sold for over $800 on ebay. Glad you scored that for an amazing price. Rebuilding them correctly is probably one of the most important things to do to ensure both longevity of turbo and engine.

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Turbo rebuild is pretty straightforward, but I think your compressor wheel is shot from the pics - looks like it's got some chips.

Not sure I'd mess with a special wheel - the turbo is not really a limiting factor on these but rather head gasket/bolts. If you do, I highly recommend going through Russ (TYP4) rather than some ebay guy even if it's more money - he'll stand behind it and is a good supporter of the site/trucks.

Gpopshop is also good, had good luck with them. Last turbo I rebuilt (for the Volvo) I has them balance - something like $85 w/shipping but it's worth it.

Can30Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Always good to run into a surprise like that when you open the hood of a truck at a wrecker! Well done man!

One day I will be so lucky...

Keep us in the loop on how it goes!

blakpete91

Reaction score
Update: Cleaned up every part I could with a toothbrush. GPOP shop rebuild kit should come in tomorrow (weather permitting). I went ahead and ordered the wicked wheel before reading the rest of the comments but oh well guess I'll let yall know how well it works. A couple of questions do I need a new waste gate or can I bend back the threaded rod? I'm guessing the previous owner bent it to keep the waste gate open. Also there is a plug on the top of the intake hat. Any idea what threads into it?
As for the exhaust housing I'm not sure how I want to go about that. I would like to cut the end off and weld on a v band clamp but I'm afraid I will screw up and then I will be out a exhaust housing. Any ways on to the pictures.

You must be registered for see images attach

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
The plug on the intake hat is were mine has a 1/8 npt barbed fitting that my boost gauge line goes to.