Picked up a complete turbo kit for $96 dollars

blakpete91

Reaction score
As the title says I was in the junkyard looking for a glow plug controller since mine took a dump (Picture below). The yard only had five or so 7.3 IDI's and when I looked in the last one lo and behold it had a factory turbo on it. I knew I couldn't leave it there because tomorrow it would be gone. So 96 dollars later I have the turbo and all the piping.

Several questions-

What turbo do I have? I assume its the ATS 093 from the research I've done online but could you all verify. There are markings on it that say "GARRETT m43 L" & "A/R .70"

Is this the correct rebuild kit or is it the cheap Chinese substitute? http://gpopshop.com/products-page/garrett-t3-t4-t3t4-kits/garrett-t3t4-hybrid-rebuild-kit-2/

Can the rod that connects to the waste gate be bent back or do I need a new one? (picture below)

Does the nut on the back of the turbine wheel look correct? To me it looks like someone took a grinder to it.

You must be registered for see images attach

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Wow... Great pics... As for the ground looking nut.... That's normally how these turbos are balanced and thats really not a nut. The fan you are looking at is cast as part of the shaft. Only the inlet fan is replaceable by a nut. I'm no expert but I feel you have an 093 wastegated turbo. Others will chime in with more help. I really can't say what the kit is but its great you are suspect of cheap parts. The turbo is no place to go cheap. They spin 120,000 rpm and more. Thats at least 2000 rpm per second. I strongly suggest you have the turbo balanced when you feel its repaired. Never try to run it unbalanced.

blakpete91

Reaction score
Thank you, I was worried that someone had taken a grinder to that nut and that it wouldn't be balanced. Local shop wants around 400 for a full rebuild. I figured I could save myself some money and do it myself. the fourth picture down is as far as I have gotten it disassembled. I can't seem to separate the two housings.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I'm not in the know of how to separate these but I do know if done wrong you end up with more broken arts. As for that down pipe you got also. Its known as the squish pipe and it's very restrictive to flow. Get a better down pipe. Just ask around for what to buy. So far your cost to all this is really great. I'm surprised you got this so cheap too as will most on this forum. Typ4 is a good person to contact for rebuilds or upgrades with all the good stuff. Russ is a great guy and deals fairly with all of us.

jay22day

Dunce
Reaction score
To help, I would need a better picture of the exhaust housing outlet side and down pipe.

having an international tag i would say its probably the stock (ats) turbo.

blakpete91

Reaction score

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
Right valve cover should have the glow plug controller mount on it but is not mandatory . I moved mine to the right fender well for easier service. However you need the left valve cover because the cdr valve gets relocated there. Also get the air box and hoses if available.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Go back and get the valve cover. Sure makes it easier than cutting a hole in what you have now.

C_Luft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 093 intake filter box and the hose from the cdr to the intake box, if your interested.

blakpete91

Reaction score
Thanks guys will go back Monday and snag it. Didn't even cross my mind until I got home and started looking more into it. Ordered the rebuild kit, a new compressor wheel, and a larger 3 inch exhaust housing to accommodate the 3 inch down pipe.

C_Luft I'll keep your offer in mind. Not sure how I want to do the air filter set up. I'll post back up here when parts comes in and weather permits build up.

jay22day

Dunce
Reaction score
to the best of my knowledge that's for a different turbo bud, the psd tp38 i believe

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online