Pep Boys Ripped Me Off AGAIN..

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
About 8 years ago pep boys wouldn't warranty an alternater I bought from them the second time it failed in the same warranty year... So I told myself I would never buy an electrical item from them ever again. Well.... About 2 months ago my passenger side window motor stopped working and pep boys was the only place that had a replacement motor. It was an aftermarket knockoff of low quality looking pos but I bought it thinking I would give them one last chance.....-cuss So today I try to install it and guess what. The thing wont mount up or match up the three screw holes. They are off just enough that two of the three will fit but it wont ingage the mounting seat.... I swear to you I will never buy an electrical item from them again. I am done with them and will not recommend them to anyone. I pulled my not working motor apart and found the brushes worn down so low they are making an intermitent contact.... Everything looks good other than that so its off to the pick-a-part for parts... Oh yeah... It started to rain when I was all apart and tools everywhere. Go figure....-cuss

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
i have NEVER gone to pep boys and have had them have anything but tires on the shelf for what i need. they're twice as much as everywhere else and half the quality, honestly i have no idea how they are still in business....:dunno i don't know anyone that goes there...ever and i never think of looking there for a part. the ONLY thing i've ever gotten there that was any good were tires, deffinity dakota m/t to be exact, they are the only thing i'd recommend from there, other than that visit autozoo... LOL

sorry to hear of your snitty luck!

-Jon

sootman73

Reaction score
so how did you get the old motor out? i have to replace my drivers side in a little bit. sucks doing through drive thrus and not being able to open my window!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Ben.... Its really east but it can be a mother****** too. My arms are just about an inch too short to reach easily to the motor. Remove the door panel but don't forget the armrest phillips screw. Then drill out the door inside skin where the dimples are at the motor. I used a die grinder for the front screw location. The bolts or screws are 5/16 hex head so make the holes at least that socket size. The window needs to be rolled up and use duct tape to hold the window up. Otherwise when the motor comes loose the window will drop on your fingers or hand. No way out of there then but to cut you out...:D The screws or bolts will fall down into the door so a magnet is needed to find them. Going back together use anything to keep the bolts stuck into the socket so they wont fall into the door. I pull the wire connecter out the front door hole and disconnect it there.

spyder1100

Reaction score
Is the motor itself burnt out, or can you hear it running but the window doesn't move? If you can hear the motor turning, you can replace the bushings inside for about 50 cents total price. It's not hard to do at all.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Spyder.. The brushes are so worn they can't maintain contact with the comutater. So I'm going to find some brushes today.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Just an update... Went wrecking yard shopping today. Found one truck with both window motors out and apart in the floor area. So I pulled the brush box off the motors... Shot to crap. After several other trucks digging them out I finally found a Bronco with a new rebuilt Napa motor in it. So I paid $24.00 for the DRIVERS SIDE.... .... I did borrow two brush box's just in case... Well the new rebuilt motor works fine ... And you know theres going to be a but.... It wont fit my passenger side door... I guess we learned that there is a leaft and right motor now.... So I used one of the brush box in my old motor and tested it.. A samll end adjustment and it spins great. So now I have a spare drivers side motor and the other motor that I got from pep boys turns out to be the motor for the later style trucks. Not for my 89 truck... Job done and windows work great. Tomorrow it rains too...

IHdieselfan

Reaction score
This is why I only go to carquest mostly or napa. if you have anything bigger than a ranger, you have a heavy duty truck that needs correct and good parts sometimes these places are a little more costly but they usually have better counter people that are better versed in the heavy duty world.