Passenger side grab bar thoughts

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I had to get in the passenger side of my truck last weekend, and I finally realized what all the complaining was about: it's kinda tough get in there without a steering wheel to grab onto. I have a set of steps, but I really don't like the way they look (anybody close want them, because I bought them pretty right and they would be welcome to a new home), and although the outside mounted "Oh **** Bar" works very well, I've never been a big fan of the way they looked either.

Anybody have any thoughts on something pillar mounted like some of the newer style trucks run? I know there's no provision for mounting anythign on the pillar, and I do gasp at the thought of putting newer style parts on an old truck :eek: but I'm hoping somebody has an idea that would make getting in and out easier.

Thanks again for any thoughts, pics, ideas, etc

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow, didn't know there was such a factory option, thanks for the heads up.

Anybody have any pics of such a device?

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can use metal conduit (EMT???) and a simple conduit bender to fabricate grab-handles.

Make the bends where you want them and hammer the ends flat for drilling screw-holes.

Also, big-truck grave-yards are a source for all manner of stainless and aluminum grab-bars/handles; be sure to take a big impact-screw-driver/Phillips-head and a hammer to smack it with, plus the usual 7/16,1/2, and 9/16 wrenches.

NEVER EVER use the steering-wheel on a light-truck as an entry assist unless you want a floppy column.

Bootzz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got some 1"-1 1/2" rope that I smashed pipe in the ends about 2" LNG to give me a mounting point and just have that rope and it works great plus it kind of matches my truck and I'm sure I could bolt it to a pillar
U can kind of see it in this pic
You must be registered for see images attach

If u want a better pic just let me know

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bootzz,

That is an ingenious idea for attaching rope for many various applications; i.e. barn-door handles, tool-box handles, etc.

Pictures of the end treatments would be nice.

Is the steering-wheel wrapped with grass-string ??

I like the quick/convenient location of the catch-ropes; sometimes the few seconds saved in having quick access makes all the difference.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ya Might be a redneck ....IF....ya got rope for handles in yer truck, twine wrapped steering wheel and a lariat hangin in the rear seat area....

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought a couple of grab handles from an older Ford Explorer and mounted them above the doors on both sides. They look factory and do provide a good grab point to help lift oneself into the truck. I don't like the look of most steps either, but my wife needs help getiing in the F350. I carry a stool in the back, and get it out for her when she needs to get in. People do look a little funny at me in the parking lots though.

War Wagon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've wanted to modify a Super Duty pillar mount handle to fit my '94, but I've never seen an obs with a factory grab handle. I would really like to see a pic so I would know what I'm looking for.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought a couple of grab handles from an older Ford Explorer and mounted them above the doors on both sides. They look factory and do provide a good grab point to help lift oneself into the truck. I don't like the look of most steps either, but my wife needs help getiing in the F350. I carry a stool in the back, and get it out for her when she needs to get in. People do look a little funny at me in the parking lots though.

Well for my Bronco...ONCE I got it lifted...being a Bronco...rofl..I was gonna get a Stirrup from a saddle for climbinb in that hooks on floor and can be pulled out/and in ...LOL something I was working on at least as an idea....stirrup/Bronco....PUN intended!

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will repeat what was already mentioned in a previous post; Don't use the steering wheel to help yourself into the truck. The tilt mechanism in the column is nothing but potmetal, and cracks very easily, and this is a major job to fix.

Fozz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck is a 92 and I bought it used, but it had the grab handles already on it. I don't have a picture closeup. They light up also, which looks pretty neat with the lights on the running boards too.
You must be registered for see images attach

Attachments

• Picture 207.jpg
    Picture 207.jpg
    289.2 KB · Views: 18
Last edited: