Parts off an 84 for my 85???

Reaction score
I have an 85 f250 4x4 with a 6.9. Its my farm truck. Got 174000 mi on it . My neighbor has a dead 84 6.9 sitting in the barn. Quit driving it cause it was using more oil than fuel. He is thinking about sending it to the scrap yard. Are there any parts I should grab off of it that would be nice to have as backup for mine before it goes? Maybe the alternator , AC compressor ,' air pump. I do not know. What do you guys think
Mark
Idaho
:dunno

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Welcome to the site Mark,:thumbsup:

If ya have room to store it, grab the whole truck. Ya never know what ya might need.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I tell you what the reason it is using more oil than fuel is it is probably leaking fuel in to the crankcase. Should get it off him and see whats up. If not get starter, alt, pump and injectors and lines. I could use a couple valve covers for practice and the cam, crank,This list could get long.
Hey punk Idaho isnt far, just cold.

Reaction score
Well I got lots of room for it. Hey does any one know basic differences between 84 and 85???
thanks

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds fixable to me. Don't let it go to scrap!

Reaction score
Ok
Then does anyone know where there is a thread laying out the procedure to determine the cause of high oil consumtion in steps? I suppose starting with a compression check would be first. What next?
thanks
mark

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First you'd need to run it and find out what the consumption rate is. A certain amount is considered pretty normal.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
i would get the hole thing if i was you, im colecting all the motors and trucks i can get, i no that one day they will be hard to find i got 3 6.9 motors and 2 7.3's all non turbo motors, so i can experiment on them one day