Part Name, price and general availabity

Michael Fowler

Reaction score
I just had a frustrating "no start" with my 6.9.
It wasn't getting fuel ( With a diesel, is that ALWAYS the problem?)
I suspect the rubber washers that seal ( or sometimes don't seal ) the fuel inlet pipe to the injection pump and to the filter head. One has a crack, but probably seals OK, most of the time--except when parked with the nose uphill, and not run for a week or two.
What are those little pieces called? Where can I get them? Do they cost an arm and a leg?

I ask because, one time I substitued an O ring in one of the injector return caps ( small leak) with an O ring from the hardware store plumbing section. It looked right. It fit. It even worked---for a while. Then I had a MAJOR leak as the diesel fuel destroyed the O ring completely.
Once burned, twice shy.
So what is the right part? What might be SAFE substitutes?

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
your local pump shop will usually give you some or sell you lots of them. Some and I say some ,auto parts stores will have the right ones, buna-n or nitrile. hardware stores have rubber, rubber and diesel dont mix, well they do and thats the problem:D
boy, ididnt read that post very well, Those stupid seals are called "olives" the best source is a john deere dealer or International, I got dumb looks from ford, changed mine over to aircraft braided lines

Last edited:

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To get you by, you may can use a similar slice of fuel rated hose. You just have to get it very smooth and flat and it should work alright just as long as the fuel hose is diesel rated. I have done similar things before with these seals, but the ones from IH work best. Regardless they are tough to get to seal anyway.

TLBREWER

Windy B Ranch
Reaction score
There's also a guy on eBay that sells IP installation kits for about $10 that includes the IP O -ring and all the seals your talking about. I bought one almost 2 years ago and it's been fine. Speedy delivery too. Don't remember what he goes by, just do a search for "7.3 diesel" and it will show up.

Tom

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
those rings you speak of are not and oring but a vibralock fitting seal. in 5/16"
pump shop usually has them or I usually get them from mcmaster carr. here on page 151 http://www.mcmaster.com/
I spend The $$$ on the viton due to the better heat range and chemical resistance. these are the same fittings I use on the psd system also.

Michael Fowler

Reaction score
Thanks for the McMaster Carr link. They are great!, and speedy with the shipping. I will order a few spares.

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
I order alot from them, different hoses etc.
always been next working day delivery, and they dont **** ya on shipping.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726