Parking on a hill - !@#$@#

Danielle

No, it's not finished
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am not sure if this is related at all to my issues, but I remember reading it on here, and I hate the new search feature.

But two things I was absolutely ordered to avoid were direct gas/diesel fumes. So I am trying to do this from afar. Like on the internet. Plus my skill level for my own truck is close to my skill level in the kitchen haha.

Anyway, my driveway is pretty steep. I park snout up. My truck will do the old start, then stall, then be a pain to start. The I get to work, go home later that night, and it starts right up at work.

Since I am about to put a baby in it, I brought it to Ford after shopping dealers for a tech familiar with these engines. He diagnosed IP. Diesel Crawler came down a while ago and did this for me and timed it also. I happened to have had to park it on the street (no hill) for a few weeks after that and it never gave me any trouble. I now am back to parking in the driveway (there's no parking allowed on the street also) and back to it being a brat.

I again hunted around calling all my neighborly shops and found a tech that said he would give it a try, although his main training was big diesels, and he's "retired"now and working at a trans shop. Truck was there for a week and it never once gave him any trouble.

I bring it back to my shop, it starts right up at his shop, then later that night, starts right up at my shop to go home, then in the morning, I almost kill the batteries trying to get it to start. I am also hiding this starting issue from my husband, who wants to put me in a Honda Crosstour. :eek: and sell off any cars built before 2010 haha. (which is all of them)

So I pull it in my driveway before my camping trip this weekend and back it in, so I can load it up. Starts right up, then when we're at the campground, it has to be moved a lot, and never gives anyone any trouble.

Is it this hill? Any ideas?

I feel like that Warner Brothers cartoon with the singing frog that only sings in front of the one person haha.

89dieselbko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i dont pretend to be even the slightest bit knowledgable about these motors, just got my first one, and its not even IN anything running yet... but i would say its a fuel pump issue. Sounds like the fuel pump (lift pump or w/e) is weak and cant draw the fuel from the tanks forward properly when parked nose up.

Being that it dont do it on the flat or nose down i wouldnt think it would be a fuel filter or anything of that sort, im sure someone knowledgable will chime in shortly, but in your shoes i would order a new mechanical pump, or perhaps look into an electric one :)

Danielle

No, it's not finished
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have the new one in the truck, but it's on the passenger seat and not installed. The tech I hired it so insanely busy (THANK GOD) during the day there hasn't been time to have him put it in. Plus he's scared to work on my truck I think.

Like a boss

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive had the same issue when I go to work, the place is in the hills and snout up after sitting a week is harder to start than snout down. I do have a fuel leak somewhere but I have an electric pump

Deib

Reaction score
The mechanical lift pump is supposed to have a check ball in it for that very reason.
It is either bad, or I think there were some years that didn't have them.

Either way, the lift pump could solve your problem, or add an electric pump, or just install and cheap after market check valve someplace in line.

Even though the check valve would solve your problem, you still need to have air intrusion somewhere to replace the fuel that is running back to the tank. Must not be big enough to find yet.

bab029

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had a very similar problem. Replaced lift pump plus new return lines= problem solved.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If that is your 92, put it up on your lift, only 2 bolts and a couple of lines to change the lift pump. Just make sure the pump arm goes under the cam when installing it. There are 2 different pump arms, one is straight and the other is a dogleg, dogleg goes straight in, straight arm has to tip down to go under the cam. Kitchen skills ? easy as scrambling eggs. If it's not the lift pump then the tank pickup has broken off, commonly called the shower head. Have you got one or two tanks?

Danielle

No, it's not finished
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is for the Bronco. One fuel tank on this truck.

I also definitely need to get the fuel pump/sender in the tank, 1/4 tank means BONE dry haha. Luckily the previous owner let me know that right away. The pump I have has the crooked arm. I might try this today. Shop is closed and it will get me out of house chores. But I am also breaking every rule the OB has given me so kind of nervous.

How much fuel will be involved and do I need to bleed it when finished?

Fordsandguns

Fords Rule
Reaction score
You're opening the line going to the filter to replace the lift pump, all the fuel in that line and possibly the filter is going to run out. And some from the supply line to the pump as well.
When I did mine it stumbled after starting but I was expecting it and managed to keep it running.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It sounds for the sake of diagnosing this issue you need to park nose down hill, and see what happens? Just curious if you have tried that?

If it cures the problem...then ya sounds most likely lift pump issue...get a good electric and skip that old mechanical one!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I'm thinking you have an air leak at the lift pump to filter head. That brass fitting has an olive in it. So does both ends of the line from the filter to the injection pump. If any of those are old they harden up. Then they suck air or leak diesel. Either one and you have the issues your posting about. The lift pump to filter head is a 3/8 and the filter to injection pump is a 5/16. those are the size olices you need. Soak the fitting in brake fliud over nite to soften the rubber olive.

Danielle

No, it's not finished
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It sounds for the sake of diagnosing this issue you need to park nose down hill, and see what happens? Just curious if you have tried that?

If it cures the problem...then ya sounds most likely lift pump issue...get a good electric and skip that old mechanical one!

Parked snout downhill all day Friday to load the pig up and it started right up. Has been sitting snout downhill since Sunday haven't tried yet. Been driving the newly resurrected Cabrio around since I probably will have to sell it soon :(

Now time for research on the electric pump. Good thing I love reading and there's limitless amount of good information here!! With that much diesel, I don't think I am going to tackle even doing the mechanical one right now. I have been trying to obey my OB lately hee hee

Danielle

No, it's not finished
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking you have an air leak at the lift pump to filter head. That brass fitting has an olive in it. So does both ends of the line from the filter to the injection pump. If any of those are old they harden up. Then they suck air or leak diesel. Either one and you have the issues your posting about. The lift pump to filter head is a 3/8 and the filter to injection pump is a 5/16. those are the size olices you need. Soak the fitting in brake fliud over nite to soften the rubber olive.

This is one I can definitely handle. I have been blessed with many olives, have to check measurements. Thank you :)

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
Do i need to send the bambalance? return after a full recovery has been determined?

Last edited:

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think that parking it nose up is allowing the fuel in the line to drain back to the tank. When you start it the pump runs out of fuel before the fuel in the line gets pulled to the pump.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance