Paint

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was talking to a friend today about getting some help repainting my truck.

Was wondering what folks recommend as far as prepping the truck for a paint shop to do a repaint goes... and about what I can expect to pay having done that prep work.

Not sure what kind of sanding is needed or if I can even do it without special equipment. Is priming needed, and will spraycan primer be adequate (if not, shop will have to do it).

I can remove all trim except that around the windshield and back window, door locks, and door handles.

Looking to have a thorough paint job... green top/tan middle/green bottom like factory colors.

Also, I have some rust damage where the dually fender meets the side of the bed... at the top. How hard is that to fix? Is Bondo the only method? A previous owner repaired the problem by putting tape down and painting over it... looks bad.

Also gonna have to order a new driver's side front quarter panel and a new fender flare... fiberglass poking out of the old one.

Thanks,
Mike

TooMuchBoost

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was wondering what folks recommend as far as prepping the truck for a paint shop to do a repaint goes... and about what I can expect to pay having done that prep work.

Expect to pay twice as much since you helped.

Not sure what kind of sanding is needed or if I can even do it without special equipment. Is priming needed, and will spray can primer be adequate (if not, shop will have to do it).

You will need an air compressor and a primer gun to spray a 2 component primer. Spray bombs are lacquer based :puke: and will not last.

I can remove all trim except that around the windshield and back window, door locks, and door handles.

To be honest this only saves the shop an hour or two unless you are heavily accesorized.

Looking to have a thorough paint job... green top/tan middle/green bottom like factory colors.

Then let the shop do it their way from the beginning. A good paint job is about prep work more than actually spraying.

Also gonna have to order a new driver's side front quarter panel and a new fender flare... fiberglass poking out of the old one.

Leave it in the box when you take the truck in because it needs to be jambed and will have to come off anyway.

The paint job you describe with minimal ping dings could be done good for ~$1500+, better for ~$2500+ or great for ~$3500++ at a reputable shop. Not to say an 'ol boy wouldn't give you a better deal and do it as well.

A prime example: I talked to a very good friend last night who owns a high volume collsion shop on repainting my brother's 01 Mustang show quality and a foot deep. He said being a convertible, removing everything for a clean job, no dings (has none), factory clear wet sanded slick with 600 grit, 2 coats of base 'fogged' on (for uniform color match), an inter-coat of clear to suspend the next coat's metallic and 3 coats of clear (the stuff I make of course) would be $3500 walk-in.

My 'ol boy deal with my brother removing bumpers, lights and such for him at his body shop would be $1800 cash money and allow two weeks so he can take his time and work on any priority collision work that may come in.

Note that both me and/or my dad could do this but since my brother is such a nit-pick we won't touch it. :sorry:

Other than factory orange peel there is no reason to paint this, but it goes in this week. :idiot:

Attachments

• brian\'s stang2.jpg
    brian\'s stang2.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:

Fred Hemer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Listen to the boost man If your at all fussy about the way the paint is to turn out leave it to the paint dudes.There is no replacment for a paint booth Prep is everything!

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by TooMuchBoost
....and don't get Maaco.

Heheheh. NO problem there!

If I had a cheap car that needed a repaint, then I'd go with them... but this truck deserves better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brb5

Members online

No members online now.