P/S Pump noise HELP!!

Bushhog

Reaction score
I have a 2000 F350 CC/Dullie 4X4 and 2 days ago the P/S punp started making a "squeaking noise " like a dry bearing. First I thought it could be a idler pulley bearing but when I put the pump under load ie: turn the steering wheel or step on the brake the noise reduces or completely stops.
Any ideas what this problem may be? I have considered doing a system flush and or replacing the pump. If pump replacement is a must does anyone know of a stronger replacement ? Did I mention this pump has 120,000 mi on it?

PowerStroker444

Burnin' Oil
Reaction score
Some poeple have went with aftermarket pumps that I think are made by AGR which I don't have a link for:sorry:

Bushhog

Reaction score
Thanks for the info I'll see what I can find on the net.

NemoRat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would still check those idler pully bearings with the belt off. It could still be one of them.;)

Geno

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bush Hog
I had one acting like this once and I was told that 2 tablespoons of STP would free up the relief valve, dummy me I tried it an it worked. Later Did a flush on the system. this was a GM pump but is worth a try in case it is the relief valve.

Bushhog

Reaction score
Well I found my noise problem.:D I was doing some more trouble-shooting and realized the noise wasn't coming from the pump. I applied a belt dressing & the noise reduced alot. Looking at my pulleys closer I found the vacuum pump for my trailer brakes was not turning & the fan belt was just sliding over it. I quess the belt has stretched over time, replaced the belt & no more problems.

I did find out that AGR does make what they call a Super Pump for the Powerstroke.

Thanks for your ideas.:D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
REM70

Staff online