overheating....

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Forget the hood...mind you it's neat....but whats scoop on rat rod in background...do tell inquiring minds wanna know

heres a better picture.
I should lap my spare 97 PSD 7.3 in her!

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
in a perfect world yes. but all you need to do is WAIT until that bubble breaks loose and hope it doesn't take out your upper radiator tank.
or......spend the money, use the tool, have the peace of mind that the bleeding job is done quickly and efficiently.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ok folks. i have a ford thermostat on its way. i tore it apart, and cleaned it.
while i was cleaning the mating surface, i noticed another hole with a check ball that was RTV'd in.
whats the deal with this check ball?

FYI, the old t-stat looked nothing like the ford part pictured in this thread. on my way to getting her dialed.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The ball must be free to move. What that does is allow trapped air to bypass the stat helping clear trapped air in the system. If you can't make is clear then remove it. Better to have flow than nothing. When the air is gone the ball closes off the port. On a normal cooling system squeezing the top hose on a cool engine will make the ball click in the port. you actually can hear it opening and closing.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got her back to get her with motorcraft gold.
And she's golden!
Thanks guys!

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you can squeeze the lower hose on your engine, it will be sucked closed at hwy speed, I killed my IDI this way two times, I have exhaust pipe inside my lower hose now.

eastsideauto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you can squeeze the lower hose on your engine, it will be sucked closed at hwy speed, I killed my IDI this way two times, I have exhaust pipe inside my lower hose now.

When I replaced my lower hose there was a spring inside the old hose but not the new one. I guess this is why

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Supposedly some new bottom hoses are built strong enough that they don't need the spring. I'm not buying that idea and I transfer springs just to make sure I don't suck flat the bottom hose.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
so, i found the major culprit.
even after i changed the thermostat and purged the system of air, she would still get hot.
seems like me and my truck have somthing in common.
this did not happen until i was done with the manifold gasket swap.
well as you all can presume from that last sentance,
the IP had to come off to complete this task.
with being a straight up rookie, i did not take note of the timing mark.
nor did i have a clue about it.
well the timing mark on the IP was a 1/4" to the right from the timing mark on the gear cover.
i suspect hat we both were really retarded.
i aligned the mark, and well.... atleast my truck isnt retarded anymore.
however, im going to need some help.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Sadly you will need to time it now. But once you do that its probably going to be great. I have 2 meters available in the remtal program. Who knows whats going to be available tomorrow or next week. No matter what you do with the timing please make 2 or 3 timing degree marks. Lets say you like 8.5 advance. Thats factory setting but todays fuel usually runs poorly there but you can make a center punch mark in the pump to housing joint line. Now run the engine and rest timing to say 9.0 advance and make a mark. Now time it again to say 9.6 advance and make another mark in the same joint line. Now as long as that particular pump is on that engine you can adjust your timing by the marks because you know what they are. You can even remove the pump and install it and the timing will be the same. Now if you change the pump the marks mean nothing. They are just marks. Every injection pump is timed internally differently. Thos factory marks your using are only good with the factory pump so don't feel they really mean anything. Doubt what I'm saying.. Just call Mell for a much better explanation of the timing.. I will not feel slighted one bit.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
theres a shop right around the corner that will time it and turn up my fuel pressure a bit, for a franklin.
in the tech articles, we were warned to not turn up the fuel pressure, unless you have a pyro.
so thats the job for today.
along with hooking up my oil and water senders.
i am still interested in purchasing one so i can tinker with it, but for now, may as well bite the bullet, and have it done so i dont blow her up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance