Overheating With Auto??

Copper

Reaction score
My company pickup is a '99 4x4 with an auto, and 220,000 miles. From day 1, according to the boss, this thing would heat with a trailer - I've flushed the system, and everything looked perfectly okay, not too terribly dirty, and it didn't seem to make any difference. I'm assuming it's the tranny that's making it heat, what should I use for a tranny cooler? Any other ideas?

holtzer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
go to an auto parts store and buy the biggest trans cooler you can fit behind the grille. and dont use the in radiator cooler anymore.

Copper

Reaction score
Are some coolers better than others, or are they all about the same? I think the tranny's getting to the end of it's lifespan anyhow, and the next one's gonna be a built one, not one of these cheapie remans - does that change the recommendation any? So just a regular air cooler, and cork the lines to the radiator one?

holtzer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yup...pretty much nowadays a cooler is a cooler, just make sure it has a good sized core diameter, you dont want to have the cooler slowing down the flow. i installed one today on a suburban..it has 3/8 core lines throughout the entire cooler.