Overheating Problems Towing Heavy Loads.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Ok... Both of those thermostats have the same looks as the factory thermostats. I may go out and buy one just to compare it demensionally to the factory recommended stat. What is the opening temp on these...

Gary, I set new versus old next to each other and couldn't tell the difference.
I had questioned my trusted Napa guy as he caters alot to the farm community here and said that had been questioned before as well. I can't remember right off hand the NAPA part number and is also 190 degree opener.

On edit, dig some diggin and a scratchin. NAPA # 385-190.

Last edited:

tuckerd1

WAR DAMN EAGLE!
Reaction score
I definitely had the wrong one in mine from the dealership install. :mad::mad:

Drove daily the problem didn't show up. Put a load on the hitch and hit highway speeds, the temp got on the high normal and when you hit a very long steep grade then it would really heat up then.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
One would think the dealership would only install the correct thermostat but... If they were just cutting corners trying to make a profit I would think my next visit with them would be with a baseball bat looking for some "trained factory mechanics".... And I would be swingen for the fence....:D

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a Ford stat in mine and it heats under load like a pressure cooker. I am thinking of changing to the IH new one I have or one of these that so far are working before installing the new radiator that I am about to recieve. I have solid observation numbers so this will be a good test.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
It would be the first time a ford dealer installed a non ford part to get a vehicle out the door.
When I was traveling once I had a dealer in OK install a rear main seal in my car that blew out and that sucker was leaking when I got home and I took it to my local dealer and when they took it apart, lo and behold, it was a non ford part, so guess what, no warranty-cuss:backoff I paid twice in one week for that job. Ford headquarters turned a deaf ear.

That Stant thermostat in the picture looks a whole lot different than the ones they were selling a couple of years ago for this application. I wonder if they finally got wind of the service bullitin and decided to do something about it ? That thing looks a whole lot more like the factory thermostat. the ones they used to sell looked just like all the rest of their thermostats.

tuckerd1

WAR DAMN EAGLE!
Reaction score
That Stant thermostat in the picture looks a whole lot different than the ones they were selling a couple of years ago for this application. I wonder if they finally got wind of the service bullitin and decided to do something about it ? That thing looks a whole lot more like the factory thermostat. the ones they used to sell looked just like all the rest of their thermostats.

The one that came out of my truck looked like the ones I've put in gassers forever.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well after all the cold weather here finally got of the house and took some pic's of what destroyed the 7.3 engine in the 92 truck I bought in SC. Look at the t'stat someone put in there, plus they had the bypass check valve plugged with silicone and covered with the gasket. They even bent the side down to keep the disc open a little, looks like they used a screwdrive and hit it with a hammer.If you look at the gasket you can see the dimple at the bottom of the pic where it covered the bypass check valve. That sure as hell is a no no. :mad::mad: Dealer said the engine had a blown head gasket, BS , it is burned up, cracked piston's and God know's what else. That is why I was so adamant about the correct t'stat. This sure as hell was the wrong one. Sorry if I offended anyone.
Click the pic's for ***********.

You must be registered for see images

Black dawg

Reaction score
the stat napa sells is taller than the OE stat. looks just like a stroker stat. I figured it would hit the block where it blocks the bypass before it was fully opened, but if it works good I must have measured wrong. I have a 205 degree stat in mine that is the non bypass style for winter time, and yes you have to be careful on a big hill with a load

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My understanding was that Stant had created a thermostat that was "like" the factory one in that it had no bypass and had a stock opening temp. No one really wanted to try it though as the conventional wisdom here has always been to use a Ford or IH stat and no one wanted to try the new stuff.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online