Overdrive will work?

2stroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What do you think will it work on our 6.9 idi
This can be seen with a picture at bronco grave yard.
Dont know if torque rating is enough.

Item #31525 - New!
Ranger Torque Splitter Overdrive unit
For use on 1971-87 4-Speeds

The Ranger Torque Splitter is an auxiliary gear box that bolts to the front of the standard Ford 4 speed transmission.
This fully synchronized unit allows you to split your gears at any time.
Features:
27% overdrive.
The unit is cast aluminum
It measures 7 1/2".
Helical cut gears
Short throw manual shifter
Built to handle 420 ft/lbs of torque
G.V.W. rating of 25,000 lbs
Weighs 82lbs
Has 1 year warranty from date of shipment
Ships UPS ground.
*RANGER III TORQUE SPLITTER OVERDRIVE FOR USE ON FORD MANUAL TRANSMISSIONS HAVING A 4.848 BELLHOUSING INDEX DIAMETER. OVERDRIVE RATIO IS 27%

Our Price: $1345.00

drinkypoo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think it will bolt up if it's dependent on bell housing, and meant for use on a gasser.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I don't think it will bolt up if it's dependent on bell housing, and meant for use on a gasser.

Why not?
If it bolts between the bell and the trans, it shouldn't matter. Should be the same between gas or diesel. That's why you can use a gasser trans with a diesel bell, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Should work. I'm pretty sure someone on here has one on a diesel. It fits between the trans and bellhousing - same front bolt pattern & input as the 4 speed trans which is generic gas & diesel, and then trans bolts to it.

Now, the thing I've always disliked about this setup is that you'll have to move your trans & t-case shifter back 7 1/2" as well putting in a new hole for the ranger shifter (unless it lines up with someone already there). You'll also need to move the trans crossmember. Finally, you'll have to deal with shifting 2 different sticks. To me it's not worth it, but to each their own. My preference is the US Gear/Doug Nash boxes.

Also worth looking at how well the ratios will actually work out - that spec calls it a 27% od (0.73:1) which may not split gears evenly - the USG/Doug Nash boxes are 20% OD which works out to be a pretty nice split.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I looked at these when I was looking for a truck. With a 4 speed, depending on what you are doing, you could probably just shift it to overdrive and leave it there the majority of the time. That might make your 1st gear useable and do you really need to split gears just going down the road? In my case, hauling heavy is a really rare thing. It does suck to have to fiddle with every drive line part but a ZF swap would be the same thing.

2stroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So far reading I agree in part and disagree in part. I agree about the moving things back issue and the extra shifter but the ZF wont split gears it just goes into 5th overdrive.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh, not quite what I meant. I meant, you would have to shorten and lengthen drive shafts and move cross members and stuff. Yes, ZF will not split gears by itself. Sorry about the misunderstanding.

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
Since the t19 gears are a little more spaced then the zf5 I think the ranger unit would do just fine. I cant stand the huge gap from 3rd to 4th. On a zf5 its 10x better for towing.

Also agree on moving everything back. 2wd not so bad

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ZF you don't have to deal with moving the shifters around. You can also I think reuse the drivlines depending on what setup you have. I know I was able to use a t-19 drivline going from a c6 to zf. On the other hand, you don't have to mess with the clutch / flywheel with the ranger.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online