overdrive isnt a bad idea... ZF5 questions

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
According to THIS ZF ARTICLE, these are the ratios for the gasser and diesel S5-42 ZF5's.

Gasser and F-superduty diesel
1st-5.72
2nd-2.94
3rd-1.61
4th-1.0
5th-0.76
Rev-5.24

Diesel
1st-4.14
2nd-2.37
3rd-1.42
4th-1.0
5th-0.77
Rev-3.79

Heath

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
So a 460 would be the 5.72? This kind of makes it a "rare" transmission.... ugh. What's the modifacations to bolt it to a 6.9?

-Jon

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So a 460 would be the 5.72? This kind of makes it a "rare" transmission.... ugh. What's the modifacations to bolt it to a 6.9?

-Jon

Yes, the 460 ZF5 has the 5.72 1st and the 5.24 reverse. Check out THIS POST about converting a 460 ZF5 to diesel.

I just did these modifications to my 460 ZF5 this past weekend. I used a small drill press to do the mods as I know I'm not that good with keeping a bit perpendicular.

The top two holes are in the same location, but need to be enlarged to 1/2 inch. I used a plain 1/2 bit for those. I then bolted the IDI tranny adaptor plate to the ZF5 and used it as a template.

Three of the four remaining bolt holes overlap the 460's bolt holes. I knew these where going to be tricky to drill with a plain bit. I used a 1/2 inch 4 fluted end mill to drill those holes. Otherwise, a plain drill bit would want to walk/drift toward the preexisting 460 bolt holes.

One of the four remaining bolt holes doesn't overlap the 460 bolt holes. So, I just used a 1/2 transfer punch to make a notch in the center (again using the adaptor as the template) and a plain 1/2 bit to drill that hole.

Then I used a 3/8 transfer punch for the dowel holes and a 3/8 plain bit for those as well.

I have a bunch of photos of the process, I just haven't had time to load and post them yet.

Heath

Last edited:

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure I understand how the yokes/u-joints will be an issue. The yoke on the rear axle and the yoke on the T-case aren't going to change, just the transmission in front of them. There is no yoke on the 4x4 ZF5, just the output shaft for the T-case. I've got a US Gear Underdrive that goes between the T-case and tranny, so my driveshafts are custom length from the get go. The yokes however are the standard F350 yokes.

Sorry, but I'm just a bit confused.:dunno

Heath

The factory zf driveshaft I used from the donor had larger u-joint caps. That's why I had to swap the yoke on the rearend, the larger u-joints would not fit into the original rearend yoke that was on the c6 setup.

Yes, I probably could have used a adapter type u-joint, but it was so simple just to go down in the field and take the yoke off the donor rearend. Having a donor saves so much time and head scratching, and is the cheaper way to go in the long run if you need or can sell the other parts off the truck.

And no, if you get it tight, it will not mess up the pre-load on the pinion bearings. People do this all the time when the seal starts leaking and needs replaced. You don't have to rebuild and reset the rearend when you replace the seal on the yoke.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
Heath i think that would make a great tech article

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jared, I may try and do one on the modifications to convert the gasser ZF5 to diesel. Just need time. I need lots more time to get the dang project finished.LOL

Heath

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online