Our do I check Ford spark plug wires?

Reaction score
I have already gotten a little bit of help on this and I have watched a bunch of videos on the subject. However, the more I watch the more confused I get. Our 96 F250 with a 351 gasser runs real rough. I have a suspicion a plug wire(s) is bad. I have a new multimeter but I do not know how to use it. That is one of the problems I am facing. All the videos I have seen use different meters. Where do I set mine? When I do get it set correctly, what numbers do I want to see when testing the wires. Please feel free to break this down to dummy level and a step by step would be nice as well.

And this is the meter I have:

http://www.craftsman.com/craftsman-...r=03482141000P&blockNo=2&i_cntr=1353953694468

IHcornbinder

Reaction score
Im at work so i cant see the picture of your multi meter but you would want to srart probly arround the 20k area on your multi meter. Pull the wire and touch one end of the cable with the negative lead and one with the positive. The meter should go from no reading to close to 0.somthing. What it reads isnt so important just make note of what it reads and check it against the others. One of them will be bad out of range. Or you can do it the easy redneck way and simply grab each of the wires one at a time while the engine is running (close to the distributer cap) untill one of them bites you. That will be your bad one (either wire or plug).

Reaction score
Okay, here are the results.
I set the meter to 20K.
Number four at 29 inches was 11.69
Number three at 20 inches was 6.35
Number two at 18 inches was 6.09
Number one at 28 inches was 9.07
Number eight at 31 inches was 8.91
Number seven at 21 inches was 12.43
Number 6 at 17 inches was 6.37
Number five at 21 inches was 6.94
Coil wire at 21 inches was 7.12
As the manual said to do, I tested them through the distributor cap.

IHcornbinder

Reaction score
I wouldnt say any of them are bad enough to cause a mis fire. Hows the cap look. Any corosion on the electrodes inside?