Optimas - are they worth it?

QRTRHRS

Reaction score
Interstate Battery owns Optima so they will carry them as well. Mine were ~116 a few years ago then ~120 last year for another application. Since I don't have Costco but do have an Interstate dealer close by, that works for me.

They also weight less and take up slightly less room as opposed to the usual add on.

Having read horror stories about owner's finding the results of a cracked battery after the fact, I had one of my own. I bought a ZTR mower at the end of summer last year. As I was checking the oil and gas for my wife (she does the yard), I saw acid damage. I don't know if it's overcharging or from me taking it down over a bank (another story) but what a mess. Come spring, it gets a gel cell.

TPCDrafting

Structural Steel
Reaction score
OOOH, that reminds me Russ, if you go with Optima's, because they are smaller, be carefull tightening the OEM bracket down, the bolts go down further than with the original batteries and could thread themselves into a wire harness that runs below the batt. shelf. If you need, some have put a block of wood or plastic of some sort between the battery and the bracket to keep the bolt from drilling into the harness. Mine missed altogether, but some haven't been so lucky.:hail -Showtits

infidel

Full of It
Reaction score
The best Optima testimonial comes from a welder friend who has a Red Top on his mobile Lincoln welder. The battery was dropped about five years ago and is missing the entire lower third of the case, been working flawlessly the whole time.
Try that with a lead acid battery!

me4osu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with Bill. I have had them for two years now and no problems or mess (not even any post corrosion).

I was out of town when the battery went out in my Wife's 460 F250 or it would have an Optima in it as well.

russs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip Eric - Billy Bobs it is! $119/red top.... and none too soon, I had a hard time starting it today... I'm gonna get them this week.

B

Big K

Sounds like you prolly can't wait, and $119 is pretty fair for an everyday price. I'm also not sure which ones this price refers to, but check this thread.

click here

Just saw this.

russs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well... Sunday was the last straw... I had to get a jump start from a Duramax..... (It was my fathers...)

Two new optima red tops are on the floor in the front seat waiting for installation in the morning! :D :D

russs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It was 56 when I got home last night.... windy as hell too... Woke up to 39f! Weird weather - It was trying to snow here today..

russs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just bought a Les Scwab version (Orbital) of a Optima Deep Cycle for my boat, I'll have a full report on how it works as soon as I use it! :D