OOPS!

cnomad172

li'l tugger inc.
Reaction score
ok, so i was playin around with my new chip in my 99 and just as i was passing 25 psi, i heard a bad sound out of te turbo.:puke: it had been soundin funny for a while, but this was a little different. a few miles down the road, i was sitting at a stoplight and saw some white smoke coming from behind me. i turned around in my seat to see who the ******* was burning oil, and it was me!-cuss well, i pulled over and got out of the truck. by the time i popped my hood and got out, there was over a quart of oil on hte ground:eek: i checked the dipstick, and i had already lost bout half a gallon. needless to say, i wasn't goin anywhere, so i had it towed to the mechanic cause i didn't have time to look at it and he said it looks like a blown turbo. he doesn't want to work on it cuz he doesn't do diesels that much, and if it's just swappin a turbo, i think i can hadle that.

my questions are:
1. does this sound like a blown turbo, and not an oil line giving out?
2. any suggestions on a replacement turbo without taking a third loan on the house?
3. what should i do while the turbo is out? (wastegate, ebpv, etc?)
4. anybody got a spare turbo lyin around??:rotflmao

thanks guys!!

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
Here's another one. There also more than a few on ebay right now for the 94-97 PSD's. I don't know if that application will work on the superduty though.

cnomad172

li'l tugger inc.
Reaction score
unfortunately, the early 99 is pretty much a one year turbo. the 94-97 wont work unless someone has ideas on bypassing the wastegate on my truck. the 99.5+ is a completely different setup. thanks for the thoughts, though. i talked to ron, who has several powerstroke turbos on ebay. he has one for my truck that he can rebuild and send to me in a few days for $550. not a bad deal, i think. apex, how's your truck comin? i've been reading along, wishing i could help, but that's a little out of my league, and you aren't close enough for me to provide any muscle or beer!

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
Kinda at a stand still right now. Gave the heads to Mel (Agnem) & he took them to a friend of his to be checked out & rebuilt. Ryan @ Bean's Diesel is in the process of building me a short block. Once I get those 2 things back together, hopefully it will come back to life with little trouble.

Fortunately work has been busy over the last week & a half & little else has fallen apart on the big trucks, so I'm trying to rake in as much $$$ as possible. If & when things slow down some, I need to get some of the re-useable stuff cleaned up & maybe painted. Also gathering some tools I don't have & figuring out what I'll upgrade while the motor is out. Nothing crazy, just planning on the regulated return line kit, 6.0 tranny cooler upgrade if I can find one, & maybe a bigger exhaust housing for the turbo. Already have alot of the upgrade stuff done, just have to put it back on the new motor.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i talked to ron, who has several powerstroke turbos on ebay. he has one for my truck that he can rebuild and send to me in a few days for $550. not a bad deal, i think.

If you're talking about Ron's turbo service in Utah he's top notch in my book. good to talk too and very fast shipping. Got my rebuild kit and banks wheel from him.....he did the polish & balancing on my rotating assembly too.;Sweet

cnomad172

li'l tugger inc.
Reaction score
cool tonka.. i think he's in utah. i've talked to him before, but we never discussed hometowns!LOL he said there wasn't much he could do to improve that turbo.. i was hoping to get an upgrade out of the deal, but i aint shellin out the bucks for a BB turbo:puke: oh well, i'll see if he can at least balance and polish it for me!
as for the swap itself.. pretty straightforward, right? seems simple enough, but those are always the ones that get me cussin-cuss anything i should do while i'm in there? how much benefit do you get from a downpipe on the superduty? it made a big diff on my 95, but that thing was like a pancake!

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the DP on the early '99 is like my 2000 it isn't crushed like the OBS trucks are. IIRC it's already 3-1/2" all the way through so IMHO it isn't going to make a difference unless you change the entire exhaust to a straight through type.

Re read your 1st post.... Since you have already chippied it, definatly put in a 4" exhaust and a Tymar intake and let her breath. I'd gut the EBPV too.

Last edited:

cnomad172

li'l tugger inc.
Reaction score
yeah, it's got 3.5" straight pipe now. just a k&n drop in filter till i get around to the 45* elbow for an open air filter. got the filter, just need the elbow. i thought the stock downpipe was pretty free on this truck. i need to find the post on gutting the ebpv and "fixing" the wastegate now;Sweet

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
Here's the link to my wicked wheel thread. The link to the EBPV delete & pedastal mod is on the first page. I tried the link & it says "under repair". Maybe somebody has another link or keep checking that one. It was very easy to follow with good pics to assist you along the way.

cnomad172

li'l tugger inc.
Reaction score
thanks apex! i knew it was around here somewhere, just haven't had time to look for it!

cnomad172

li'l tugger inc.
Reaction score
ok, i got the new turbo in yesterday, and started pulling the old one. i got all the plumbing loose, plus the two bolts on the pedastal. i forgot about the ebpv having an actuator arm on it. after some prying, cussing, lookin, cussing, bleeding, beerdrinking.. i finally found the armcookoo now i cant figure out how to get it off! i read the thread on gutting the ebpv, and it said to slide a little sleeve back and pop the ball-and-socket loose. i couldnt figure out how to get the sleeve to slide, so i called it a night.
when i get home again, are there any tips or tricks to get that sucker loose? i didn't have the 12pt socket to disasseble the wastegate, so i need to get one of those too. does the wastegate have to go back on, or is there a way around it? it looks like i could just plug it or wire it shut.
the old turbo had some serious play in the wheel! i would say at least 1/4" each direction. there was also some oil sitting under the ebpv around the pedastel. i'll know more about that when i get the turbo off, but i would say that the turbo is definitely the source of my trouble!

cnomad172

li'l tugger inc.
Reaction score
yeah, got the new turbo in. having low boost issues now. seems like i cant get more than 17-18 psi! i need to look at my wastegate, see if i can adjust it or something. went through all my boots and clamps, found a few that were loose and that helped some. still not getting all i want though. the old turbo was definitely shot.. about 3/8" inch play all around. the new one has got some serious whistle too! especially since i put the open air filter on it. any tips on bringing up my boost? even with the old junk turbo, i was getting 20+ with the chip. the CEL hasn't come on or anything else that seems wrong.:dunno

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Members online