Oog does a waterpump.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Al.. I'm just used to the hand control I have over tools but I do understand using air power is the only real way to go. You should have seen the 4 inch drive impack wrench we used on the turbine decks to loosen and tighten big stuff. It was made by Ingersol Rand but we called it.. The Widow Maker and for good reason. It required a crane to lift it. then 6 air supplies feeding a huge manifold. then 3 big men on each of the 2 handles. We duct taped the on off located on one of the handles because nobody could use it and hold on. It was an 8 man job working that tool. One in the crane. One to open the 1 1/2 inch air line from the manifold where 6 3/4 inch air lines fed and 3 men on each handle. The sockets weighed as much as 80 lbs each.. the widow Maker was a good name for that monster.

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
Oog do good job fixing weeblewobble pump! Lots of good pics.
Looks like Oogette could be ASS certified. :sly

Oog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oogette - woman that daily puts up with Oog's ****.

Owner of this truck is a 280lb or so 6'5" giant that needed a truck. He definitely fits this truck better than that little camry he had

Oog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As for the pneumatic fan wrench, that tool has more than paid for itself, and a quick buzz in the other direction during reassembly prevents the fan from spinning off.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Any idea why the fan came off the pump shaft. From the poor quality pics it almost looks like the welf broke.. If thats what they did to that impeller.

Oog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oog does not know, but from a quick inspection looks like bearings gave out, allowing impeller to come loose. From there it scraped quite a healthy amount away from the water pump, and did little damage to the timing cover.

Icanfixall: You do realize that I removed the fan off the pump shaft, right? When it came in, the rad fan was firmly attached to the hub.

oregon-mike

Reaction score
Timely post. Thanks Oog! Mine appears to be on its way out with a pretty steady drip coming from where the weep hole should be. I'll check the Gates prices...$102 direct from Ford.

Oog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gates makes excellent pumps. Like I said previously, I know i've done at least 100 timing belt component kits which have pump,belt,idlers and tensioner, all gates stuff, and I have yet to see a failed component. I know a vehicle for 280k miles and 3 owners. I think I have done 4-5 tbck's on it with no failures. Pretty sure I could have gotten away with just a belt on most of them. 2000 toyota camry 5sfe.

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whats the best way to drain/salvage the coolant? I installed petcocks for the block drains when I did the oil cooler, would i just shove a piece of tubing onto it and crack it open?

ZWilson07

Cowboy
Reaction score
Whats the best way to drain/salvage the coolant? I installed petcocks for the block drains when I did the oil cooler, would i just shove a piece of tubing onto it and crack it open?

Yes.

I don't know which one you installed but many have a nipple side to where you can hook up clear tubing to it and drain it out to a pan, bucket, etc.

Oog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cowboy wilson is very correct.

I however am usually impatient and simply disconnect the lower hose over a bucket with a fender cover draped over the mouth.

The fender cover acts like a strainer (to this unaware, a fender cover is a 2'x4' red shop towel) and prevents large particles from being dumped in.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oog: great writeup. Some people say nobody likes a smarta$$. Those people are full of **** :D

Great documentation, great belt buckle, great photo's, great comic relief, great "helper", great third person narrative.

I agree that Gates makes great coolant related stuff, which is pretty tough for me to say out loud (I work for a Gates competitor :eek:, but we don't make water pumps)