Only cranks after being plugged in

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you might have a fuel drain back issue it also... might change out your fuel lift pump if you have never changed it out esp considering they are under 50 bucks. i kind of consider them a maintenance item that needs changed every 25k.
Not really true...

If you have air intrusion from bad return lines caps that cam be an issue but if lift pump is working a 25k swap hardly worth it.

Lets deal w 1 thing at a time.

Since u already ordered without testing old ones....

1st MAKE SURE YOU HAVE BERU ZD1 glow plugs not some other craptastic brand like shition or nottolight...BERU only.

2nd wee bit o antiseize on the threads when installing em.

Now you need try starting again.

Because you didnt isolate issue before parts order hopefully gp controller is good and truck fires properly. If you still experience poor start and gp system it likely is and was controller....but it could be both too...bad controller can make bad plugs quick!

Once yer gp issues are resolved then if needed look at air intrusion....wet return ca0s etc....tons of threads here w all this info so ne semse rspeating it.

JM7.3CW Eh!

hoodshauler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
More info needed, how long is the glow plug light staying on when turn the switch on? How cold is it outside ? Does it run fine after start? Last after your have got it up to temp will it start like you are used to ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it turning over at a good speed ? Maybe weak batteries or starter could Be contributing to extended cranking times as well as checking for fuel leaks as mentioned above

Dino1191

Reaction score
Good morning guys and thanks for the feedback.

I left her unplugged last night; tried to start this morning and same od thing. She would only turn over and never start. I will answer the questions from everyone's feedback and see if anyone has any advice.

1- I am in Atlanta, GA. Last night it only got down to about 53 degrees and still wouldn't start this morning
2- The mechanical fuel pump was replaced less than 10,000 miles ago
3- Replaced glow plugs with Motorcraft ZD1A glow plugs within last two days
4- Replaced glow plug relay within last three days
5- The glow plug stays on for about 3 seconds, then shuts off and never comes on again.
6- It runs like a champ one it starts
7- checked batteries. Both were holding 13 volts and only sat on the charger for about 2 minutes before showing fully charged.

Some backstory that I may not have mentioned before: I replaced the fuel injection pump about a year ago with a cheap IP out of Florida. Replaced it again thre months ago with a mini-moose from Conestoga (recommendation from this forum and the truck runs like new once it starts.) Also changed the fuel lines. However, having changed the IP a couple times, there has been a significant amount of turning-over to get th fuel through the lines.

Starter turns over very quickly. Could the constant turning over from replacing the IP possibly fry the controller?

Last edited:

Figor

Reaction score
I'm not new to diesels, have had numerous Cummins. Having said that it is common in the Cummins world to cycle the heater grid twice for quicker start. Key on wait for start light goes out, key off, key back on, wait for light goes out then start.
I have no idea if that works with glow plugs this is my first Ford diesel. Just throwing it out there.

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
White smoke while turning over and no start? If yes the. Glow plugs are not coming on long enough and it sounds like it could be your glow plugs controller since plugs and relay are new

hoodshauler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
White smoke while turning over and no start? If yes the. Glow plugs are not coming on long enough and it sounds like it could be your glow plugs controller since plugs and relay are new
What pelky350 said would be my first guess, your glow plug should stay on for around 10 seconds. With it going off that quick you definitely need to check it. Check your wiring to all your glow plugs and make sure it is all good as well.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Loose spade terminals at the GP's will shorten the GP cycle. At 53 degrees you should be getting at least an 8 second cycle time. Three seconds barely get the GP's warm, not hot. Try cycling several times, if it starts then, it's the GP's.

lude and rude

Reaction score
have you tested the controller yet? everything is pointing to this is possibly the issue.
the controller is run off the coolant i believe (sorry 7.3 guy here). if the controller is thinking the coolant is too hot the plugs wont run for very long. might search to find how to test this controller.

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
have you tested the controller yet? everything is pointing to this is possibly the issue.
the controller is run off the coolant i believe (sorry 7.3 guy here). if the controller is thinking the coolant is too hot the plugs wont run for very long. might search to find how to test this controller.
Yes that is true there is a temp probe in the block on driver side head I belive that tells the controller when it's hot and when it's cold, there are two on the driver side one tells the gauge in the cab to move, the other tell the controller when the engine is hot and cold. I don't belive that the sensor is very expensive to replace. My plugs are on a manual switch now because my controller went out a while ago others have done the manual switch too it's cheap and reliable but it's not for everybody somenlike the truck to function as it should, others like me enjoy having 5 switches in the cab to play with lol

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good morning guys and thanks for the feedback.

I left her unplugged last night; tried to start this morning and same od thing. She would only turn over and never start. I will answer the questions from everyone's feedback and see if anyone has any advice.

1- I am in Atlanta, GA. Last night it only got down to about 53 degrees and still wouldn't start this morning
2- The mechanical fuel pump was replaced less than 10,000 miles ago
3- Replaced glow plugs with Motorcraft ZD1A glow plugs within last two days
4- Replaced glow plug relay within last three days
5- The glow plug stays on for about 3 seconds, then shuts off and never comes on again.
6- It runs like a champ one it starts
7- checked batteries. Both were holding 13 volts and only sat on the charger for about 2 minutes before showing fully charged.

Some backstory that I may not have mentioned before: I replaced the fuel injection pump about a year ago with a cheap IP out of Florida. Replaced it again thre months ago with a mini-moose from Conestoga (recommendation from this forum and the truck runs like new once it starts.) Also changed the fuel lines. However, having changed the IP a couple times, there has been a significant amount of turning-over to get th fuel through the lines.

Starter turns over very quickly. Could the constant turning over from replacing the IP possibly fry the controller?

3 Seconds isn't long enough.

You normally see about 10 seconds on a cold start regardless of outside air temperature. 1987 and up IDIs use a better solid state controller that is smart enough to adjust the glow time based on feedback from the glow plugs, but 86 and down functions more like a timer.

So if you're running the OEM controller for that year, its basically a bimetal switch timer. Mine never really adapted cycle time based on temperature. It would either burn for 10 seconds (engine cold) or 1 second (engine hot). Didn't matter if it was in the middle of winter or summer - always 10 seconds for a cold engine. Its possible that yours is trying to cycle correctly based on resistance feedback, but is getting fooled into thinking the glow plugs are hotter than they really are (hotter glow plugs have more resistance).

Ok, how have a look at this photo of the wiring on the passenger side inner fender (an old post from my FTE days):
You must be registered for see images

See that grey connector to the upper left of the black plastic sphere? That's the main engine harness connector. Not many wires since its an IDI :Thumbs Up

The bad news is, its not weather sealed with anything but some grease from the factory, so its prone to corrosion. Now see those two, heavy orange wires right next to it? Those carry the current for the glow plugs. In this photo, I've cut the orange wires and bypassed the connector after finding it melted. I my case, I was still getting the normal 10 second glow time, but much of the power was being lost at that connection due to higher resistance.

Something else you can do is manually bypass that relay to the lower, right hand side of the black sphere. If you can hold this on for 10 seconds, and it fires off normally, you found your problem.

In the end, I fitted a switch for OFF/AUTO/ON to control the glow plugs. Sometimes Auto works, sometimes it doesn't. At least this way I can still take over control.

Oh, and as for a drainback problem, that doesn't seem likely since it fires off fine with the block heater. If the engine was starving for fuel, it would sputter either way after sitting over night.