Only 1 battery functioning?!?

Fishin76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got a set of everstart MAX Group 29's, but I don't think they'll fit, I have the extra wide Rad, ( No A/C ). Any body else put Group 29's in a XL with no air?

timothyr1014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well, confirmed its not the batts....replaced both and with the drivers side connected I have 12.6 at the battery, 10.8 at the passenger connection...its starting fine now but that is way to much voltage drop on way to short a run.

so next up is the cables...I am seriously considering doing an under-bed/frame mount (building skid plate protection etc) and going to a bank of 4 deep cycle batteries.....extra juice when starting, and for the times when I am running my lights and inverter I get the piece of mind with a higher reserve.

thoughts & comments welcome

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most likely, something has gone bad where the battery cable goes into the battery post connector. I've seen problems like this before. A new connector would probably solve it.

IH_444

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would just replace the cable, it may be broke or corroded inside

Jake S.

clueless...
Reaction score
I have learned that just because a wire has zero or low ohms, does not mean that it is a good enough wire to carry a load. If only one strand in the cable is good, than it would have zero ohms. My thoughts are wires are corroding next to the clamps, or the lead of the clamps where the posts are is oxidized. When lead turns dark it is oxidized, and does not conduct well.

timothyr1014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am sure you guys are right and it is the cables....I have had thisi truck (my first IDI) for about 3 months (and 15k miles) and am in love with it to the point that when something breaks its an excuse to turn it into my ideal...

firing up the welder and picking up 4 deep cycles as the trucks thanksgiving present....cant wait to see what she asks for for christmas...

Black dawg

Reaction score
do yourself a favor and buy one of those amp clamp tools that measure amp flow. they will save lots of time in diagnosing this kind of thing.

timothyr1014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
load tested the cables....Positive was crap between the batteries as well drivers side neg to block. Started pulling it all apart and decided to build my box with 4 group 29's, go to a 1-wire 300 amp alternator, and add the towtruck style plugin for jumping under the hood

Thanks all for your thoughts and advice

smokin69

Always smokin'
Reaction score
Just remember, when doing volt drops, the wire has to be using the load, so for the battery cable, you need to be cranking to read the volt drop.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
load tested the cables....Positive was crap between the batteries as well drivers side neg to block. Started pulling it all apart and decided to build my box with 4 group 29's, go to a 1-wire 300 amp alternator, and add the towtruck style plugin for jumping under the hood

Thanks all for your thoughts and advice

We are going to want to see pictures. ;Really