One hell of a road trip.

Simp5782

SNOW TACKLER!
Reaction score
Well they just had that teacher go missing 100miles north of there. Shes suspected dead, but it is just shows that people will come from all over just for the $$$.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well i guess im glad i live in north dakota where 90% of the time if your stranded along the road someone will help you out. i never even thought about getting robed along side the road either. maybe its just the lots of good country folk nd has :)

North Dakota is one of a very small handful of places that are left where folks lend a helping hand an will refuse payment if offered. I grew up on a farm not far from Tuttle. The people and the way of life up there will be ingrained in me forever.

I spent time in Northern California and am very glad to be in Wyoming where folks are a little more friendly.

Simp5782

SNOW TACKLER!
Reaction score
Actually in MT, WY, ND, and I think SD has a law to that says if someone is broke down or in an accident. You are required by law to stop and lend assistance unless 2 or more vehicles are already there. It is one of those laws that isnt really enforced but I have seen it done. Trooper up here went off in the median into some snow and was sitting in the snow facing the direction traffic was going, you could tell he was stuck and not going anywhere. NOONE stopped for the hour and a half he was waiting for the tow truck. He actually had his dash cam and lights on the whole time and his cam took pics of everyones license plate that went by that didnt stop. The state ended up sending tickets to every single one of them. $85 each. It was a little steep but ya know. Some times you could die up here in the middle of winter if you break down and dont have any heat or cell service.

bghnkinf350

Reaction score
In this area people freak out and will refuse to talk to you of you help them. I pulled over to help a woman in the rain - she was grateful, but when the CHP Officer pulled over to find out what was going on, she was rude to the both of us - snapping at the woman and then curt and rude to me..... This area used to be different even. A couple hours out of the Bay Area and it is a totally different way of life!

Wyoming, Montana, or the Dakotas are places of interest for the wife and I when we finally leave California for the simple reason of the people.

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
Those states sound like areas I'd live in...regardless of the frigid cold. I'm one of those people that stops and offers help.....I think I'm the only one that does in this crappy state.

Simp5782

SNOW TACKLER!
Reaction score
Trust me a month or 2 of straight -40 temps with 20 + 30mph winds and you won't want to live there long if your not used to it. I usually profile on who I stop and help. If its some rich dude in his denali or caddy who earlier blew my doors off cause I was going the speed limit. Yeah he can sit and wait for the next person or a tow truck. If its a family, elderly people ill usually stop. Ill stop for anyone off in the ditch.

bab029

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually in MT, WY, ND, and I think SD has a law to that says if someone is broke down or in an accident. You are required by law to stop and lend assistance unless 2 or more vehicles are already there. It is one of those laws that isnt really enforced but I have seen it done. Trooper up here went off in the median into some snow and was sitting in the snow facing the direction traffic was going, you could tell he was stuck and not going anywhere. NOONE stopped for the hour and a half he was waiting for the tow truck. He actually had his dash cam and lights on the whole time and his cam took pics of everyones license plate that went by that didnt stop. The state ended up sending tickets to every single one of them. $85 each. It was a little steep but ya know. Some times you could die up here in the middle of winter if you break down and dont have any heat or cell service.

Last winter here in Louisiana it snowed pretty good for this area, 4 inches or so and it was below freezing for a few days straight. As a result, the interstate was a mess, and people here have no clue how to operate when it rains, much less when there's ice on the road. At any rate, I'm following my brother back home when he hits a patch and winds up in the median. I continue on to the next exit, turn around and head back. When I get back a state trooper had already stopped, so I set my flashers, hop out and proceed to unwind a winch cable so everyone can go home. This is a brief summary of our conversation:

State Trooper: "get your a** back in the truck and get it in gear. What the f*** are you thinking!"

ME: "this is my brother I was following him when this happened. If you'll let me get about ten more feet of this cable out we can all get out collective ***** back in the vehicles and go home.

State Trooper: "You either roll the winch up or you get a citation."

So I say well at least let me give my brother a ride. No dice. So I roll up my toys and hit the road. Had to pick up my brother at a gas station up the road.

I'm a VERY level headed dude, I never really get mad. But i've literally NEVER been more angry in my entire life.

Came back the next day and winched him out....

Point of the story: I got no love for the state fuzz in these parts.

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last winter here in Louisiana it snowed pretty good for this area, 4 inches or so and it was below freezing for a few days straight. As a result, the interstate was a mess, and people here have no clue how to operate when it rains, much less when there's ice on the road. At any rate, I'm following my brother back home when he hits a patch and winds up in the median. I continue on to the next exit, turn around and head back. When I get back a state trooper had already stopped, so I set my flashers, hop out and proceed to unwind a winch cable so everyone can go home. This is a brief summary of our conversation:

State Trooper: "get your a** back in the truck and get it in gear. What the f*** are you thinking!"

ME: "this is my brother I was following him when this happened. If you'll let me get about ten more feet of this cable out we can all get out collective ***** back in the vehicles and go home.

State Trooper: "You either roll the winch up or you get a citation."

So I say well at least let me give my brother a ride. No dice. So I roll up my toys and hit the road. Had to pick up my brother at a gas station up the road.

I'm a VERY level headed dude, I never really get mad. But i've literally NEVER been more angry in my entire life.

Came back the next day and winched him out....

Point of the story: I got no love for the state fuzz in these parts.

Sounds like LA trooper to me. I'm about 30 minutes from the LA Tx line on 10 and get sent to LA all the time for buses down. Rolled up on one with a snapped belt tensioner. I keep spares of common parts in the truck. One side box probably looks like behind Icanfixall's seat. Tensioners, air governors, bags of air line fittings, air line. You name it and if it's common it's on the truck.

Anyways bus breaks down during a nasty ice storm about 3am. Bus is carrying kids back from some trip and no one is willing to go fix it or tow it either. They finally call us and the boss asks if I'm willing to go. I grew up in NE Ohio so snow and ice are nothing new to me. Bus is over near Jennings La on I10. I get there and this putz officer shows up and is giving me a hard time for (hindering safe travel). Stands over me the whole five minutes it takes to fix the bus telling me to move faster. Got the bus fixed and back on the road only to be told not to come back into his jurisdiction again while giving me a ticket. Called the boss about what happened and he said he would make some calls. Not sure who he called but ticket was dismissed and I got an apology letter from some captain over there for his attitude.

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
it's good to hear you are in an area where strangers will stop and help. out here, you get robbed.

North Dakotans are a good lot. The cold tends to keep the ruff out. Except for lately with all the oil rig workers...but thats a different story.

Thad

Last edited: