One cool Ford diesel!

adam g

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This truck came into the shop for a little work a couple weeks ago and I haven't had time to post the pictures. It is a kit car. The engine is a perkins I believe out of an early 80's Mazda pickup. The owner runs a dairy delivery, milk for resturants schools etc, so the milk jugs in back are fitting. They are also holding his fuel cells. He has put 4500 miles on it this year. I'm trying to get him to join. He also has an obs 12v dodge.
You must be registered for see images attach

IMG]http://i271.photobucket

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mechanical fuel shut off! Gotta love it. :D

adam g

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He says that he gets 52mpg. I have tried talking him into turbo and intercooling. He said it struggled in the mountains. I don't know if the engine can handle it.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think thats the same engine that they tried in the ranger before the 2.3 turbo diesel (1983-1985).

If I'm right, its a 2.2l with an earth shattering 56 Hp. They are a guttless bloody wonder, but the internals over designed and the timing is all done with gears instead of chain or rubber band. I believe the cylinder head is also cast iron.

All of that means they most certainly can take a turbocharger. Another 20-30 Hp is possible without an intercooler, and I think even 100 Hp could be possible without loosing reliability if an intercooler used. The bosch VE pump can be upgraded with a fuel aneroid to keep the smoke in check but still dump the fuel when boost is ready for it.

Thats more than enough to roast the tires on something that small and light.