OK what am i doing wrong!

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
So the other morning i made it a mile up the road and my truck dies, ok the electric pump was making horrible noise and i had no fuel pressure, so i since then swapped the electirc for a mechanical that is brand new, it still acts the same now like it has no fuel pressure and it will run if i pull it off but you have to keep it on the floor the hole time, some times it will rev up sometimes it will run good, and i will drive it down the road but it has no power and you pretty much got to keep the pedal against the floor to hold speed, so i changed the new fuel pump with a factory one of another engine, and it still does the same thing,

Now the reason the electric pump died was i poured some waste motor oil in it that i thought i had filtered but i didnt filter it, i know i should have filtered it again just to be sure but i didnt-cuss anyway after i found out it had junk in it i dropped the tank and got it all out blowed it out of all the lines and changed fuel fiilter and put 45 dollars of new diesel in it, but i still can figue out why my truck wont run!

Is there a certain way to installing the mechanical fuel pump?

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When you installed the mechanical pump, did you make sure the arm is under the cam shaft lobe? If the arm was a straight one then you have to tip the arm down, rotate the engine until the low side of the lobe is down on the bottom before installing. If it's the pump with the bent arm then it can go almost straight in. Here is a couple of pix showing how the high side is worn on this cam. Looks real bad but it's only about .025 thousandths.

Attachments

• DVC01339.JPG
    DVC01339.JPG
    292.8 KB · Views: 11
  • DVC01340.JPG
    DVC01340.JPG
    298.5 KB · Views: 10

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
When you installed the mechanical pump, did you make sure the arm is under the cam shaft lobe? If the arm was a straight one then you have to tip the arm down, rotate the engine until the low side of the lobe is down on the bottom before installing. If it's the pump with the bent arm then it can go almost straight in. Here is a couple of pix showing how the high side is worn on this cam. Looks real bad but it's only about .025 thousandths.

how can i tell when the cam is on the low side?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
how can i tell when the cam is on the low side?
you have a 50/50 chance the motor stopped with the pump cam at the high or low spot. easiest way to figure it out is to rotate the crank MANUALLY 1/4 TURN. the mechanical pump should be very easy to install at this point.

Chevyboy_0

Mr.SunnyDisposition
Reaction score
While you are barring over the motor use a mirror on a swivel or something like that and look for the push rod. IIRC its ~1" dia and when you see the round silver thing in the mirror its at low cam.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
While you are barring over the motor use a mirror on a swivel or something like that and look for the push rod. IIRC its ~1" dia and when you see the round silver thing in the mirror its at low cam.
you mean "high cam" right?
also, there is no fuel pump pushrod on these motors like what a SBC has.

Chevyboy_0

Mr.SunnyDisposition
Reaction score
/\ what he said ;)

Thanks Towcat, someone told me how to replace the fuel pump a while back, I guess i mixed it up

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
mr young,
consider what you've told us. Electric pump making no pressure.... you try two more manual pumps and the same problem.

The 6 port pollack can and does plug, try bypassing it. Make sure there are no obstructions in the fuel pickup (handheld vac pump, blow in the line, whatever, just make sure it's clear again).

Also, what is your actual fuel pressure, and where is this gauge located?

best of luck,
Drew

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
mr young,
consider what you've told us. Electric pump making no pressure.... you try two more manual pumps and the same problem.

The 6 port pollack can and does plug, try bypassing it. Make sure there are no obstructions in the fuel pickup (handheld vac pump, blow in the line, whatever, just make sure it's clear again).

Also, what is your actual fuel pressure, and where is this gauge located?

best of luck,
Drew

When i took the electic off i blew threw the "6 port pollack"LOL and it blows threw fine as do the rest of the lines going to the engine, i dont have a fuel pressure gauge, but when it dies if i get out and crank on it, it takes forever before the pump builds pressure back to the filter, so its loosing pressure, i know its a kinda crude way of checking but its looseing pressure

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
I would try bypassing the fuel switching valve - this is how I would do it for testing purposes...

I would take fuel can and stuff a fuel line down into it and hook up the other end to the mechanical fuel pump and start the truck - then see how your fuel pressure is.... if good I would then I would say that the 6 port switching valve is bad. If not then I would start looking at the fuel filter or mechanical pump that you installed....

With the electric fuel pump that I ran it would make more noise when it was starving for fuel than when it was pushing against wall.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
I would try bypassing the fuel switching valve - this is how I would do it for testing purposes...

I would take fuel can and stuff a fuel line down into it and hook up the other end to the mechanical fuel pump and start the truck - then see how your fuel pressure is.... if good I would then I would say that the 6 port switching valve is bad. If not then I would start looking at the fuel filter or mechanical pump that you installed....

With the electric fuel pump that I ran it would make more noise when it was starving for fuel than when it was pushing against wall.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online