oil pressure sender..

wanabebig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey all, i just got an oil pressure guage in, and i was wondering where everyone put their sender at? i have a water temp guage coming sometime soon, wheres the best place to put that sender at too?
thanks
jim

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I put all my oil pressure senders (I have three) at the turbo's oil block. You can use the oil galley on the rear driver's side of the block. That is the same port used to supply most turbo's for these IDI's. It uses a small square head plug. I don't remember the size.:dunno Anywho, I use the head for my water temp sender. There are several ports on the corners. IIRC the stock temp sender is on the drivers head on the front lower coner.:dunno

Heath

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like em' on the crank rail. That's the place Heath mentioned, plus there is one on the same plane, forward of the oil filter header.

THECACKLER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like 'em where I can see 'em. For Oil Pressure I think the Turbo block if you have it. In theory all pressures are equal in a hydraulic system so "in theory" it wouldn't matter where. In the world where I live, every passage and worse yet, corner or fitting that the fluid has to flow through or around, it encounters friction which robs it of pressure. I like to know the worst case scenario, so that, for OP I'd guess is the furthest from the Main Oil Galleys as I can get. I.E the turbo. Having said that, the Pipe Plug in the rear of the block where the Aftermarket Turbo Oil lines tap off is 1/8 NPT.

I have my H2O Temp Sender plumbed into the Left Cylinder Head at the Rear between Exhaust Valves #6 & #8, again furthest from the Radiator so likely to be the hottest. I am baffled as to why the Engineers chose the front of the Cylinder Head to locate the Overheat Switch as it is the closest Entry Point into the Head for the Coolant from the Water Pump.
You could plumb it into the 1/2" pipe port on top of the Water Pump, but that will only tell you what temperature H2O is coming from the Radiator. If you go with pulling the Pipe Plug from the head and retaining the Overheat Switch in the front of the Cylinder Head, you would be good to get a 9/16 Eight Point socket to remove it as anything else will likely round it off.

I have an Oil Temp Sender plumbed into the Rear Header of the Oil Cooler into the hole
where the 1/2" NPT Pipe plug was that was parallel with the bundle. I know that that's not the hottest oil because it's on the "cool" end or the exit of the cooler for the oil, but it is close to the temperature of the oil that the bearings will see and it's a "protected location.

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
are there any other ports already on the engine where i can screw a coolant temp gauge might need to move the one i got to make room for the turbo

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I have an Oil Temp Sender plumbed into the Rear Header of the Oil Cooler into the hole
where the 1/2" NPT Pipe plug was that was parallel with the bundle. I know that that's not the hottest oil because it's on the "cool" end or the exit of the cooler for the oil, but it is close to the temperature of the oil that the bearings will see and it's a "protected location.

Is there good access to that 1/2" pipe plug on the rear header? I don't feel like crawling under there right now, but I really need to relocate my sender . I had to tighten it down and it's geting a little too close to the wires from the GP controller I see fried wires in my future if I leave it.

THECACKLER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's kinda close to the Engine Mount. I did it while the cooler was off for O-Rings. Fair access otherwise if you remove your Oil Filter and use a 3/8 breaker bar w/o any socket to remove the 1/2 NPT Pipe Plug. It has a 3/8" square socket recess. The Plug isn't that tight as its threaded into Cast Aluminum. Again Best condition is Cooler Off.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cackler, the reason the water sensors are in the front of the head is because that is the hottest, the water goes thru the block to the rear up thru the rear of the head then forward and back down into the block crossover water outlet passage, the holes in the headgasket in the front from the block are nearly blocked so the coolant has to take the described route.
I have studied this in depth to find out why my engine runs so GD hot.

THECACKLER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
TYP4 - Thanks for the info... I yield to your experience. Now maybe I'll have to get a second sender from AutoMeter and do some experimental research. Any data you have would be appreciated. You can PM me if you would. Oh, and info on your rail would be cool too.