Oil Pressure Regulator On Factory Tubo IDI's

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Where is it at? Is it built into the multi plate that bolts to the top of the CHRA, with the pressure sending unit and such, or is it built into the fitting that goes into the back of the block?

The reason I ask is we're installing a new 6.9 into my moms 94 Turbo truck and with the 6.9 obviously you have to run the oil from the side of the block by the bell housing plate. I dont want to run over pressurized oil into the CHRA, because it will blow the seals out.
I know someone here has to know.
Let me know.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
what the heck is a CHRA?
the only oil pressure regulator I know of on the IDI is the one located on the filter head side of the cooling bundle.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Okay, well the CHRA is the center cartridge of the turbo, also called the oil section. The inlet needs to have a regulated oil pressure or if a full pressure feed is ran to it the excessive pressure will cause seal failure in the housing.
I guess Russ would probably be the best person to answer this question, or Justin.

Justin, did you use any sort of special fitting or plate from the block to the top of the CHRA that would have had the regulator in it? Or just used the stock top plate that has the sending unit in it?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if your center cartridge on the turbo is pressurizing to the point you're blowing out seals, you have a real problem. Let's review the flow path from the oil feed line....
the oil coming out of the oil feed like is at a maximum of 35psi and that is measured while it's in a 1/8" tube. the oil then goes through a fitting where it expands to 1/4" pipe(pressure drop). The center section of the turbo can hold roughly 2tablespoons of oil to lube and cool the bearings, but that can't fill due to the fact there's a 1/2" hole at the bottom of the section which dumps back into the crankcase(really big pressure drop). In conclusion unless i am missing something in the engineering, I don't see how on our IDI's you could pressurize the center cartridge of the turbo without something else going very wrong in the motor or you are mounting the turbo in a pretty exotic location like what Barney did under the truck.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The turbo will only use the oil it needs, there is no way to overpressure it. w ell unless the drain is plugged.It only takes a small amount to lube it . the best place is to run the line from the back of the block at the bellhousing behind the filter head, there is a plug there

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I'm not running any sort of pressure regulator. Just a 90* elbow out of the block as Russ described, and then my oil line up into the turbo. I havent had a problem with this turbo so far, all is good (knock on wood :D). But if you do use this port as I did, make sure its nice and clean.

LUCKY_LARUE60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My oil feed line came off the block as decribed and I hook up my pressure gauge to the feed line at the turbo and cold is about 52lbs, hot is 42lbs.

Jim

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
+1 on all that. Every turbo kit made, and the factory turbo included just gets it's oil from the block with no fancy regulation.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HarleyCummins