Oil pan?

Ford86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. I'm removing and re sealing my oil pan just as perventative maintenece. I just have a few questions. The oil pick up attached to the oil pan. How do I remove that to drop the oil pan? I didn't want to just yank on it till it popped off ahah. Also does anyone know the torque specs for the bolts? Thank you!!

Ford86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The engine is on a stand. I took all the bolts off and tried to drop the oil pan but what I assume is the oil pickup is stopping the oil pan from coming off completely. I just don't know if I wiggle it and it pops off or what. Thank you

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
Are you sure all the bolts are removed? I just pulled one last week and it came right off. I missed a bolt or two at the rear on the rear seal plate at first but figured it out after a quick tap and wiggle. There's nothing in the pan for the pickup to get hung up on, no baffles or anything on the one I pulled.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
pulled one off this morning, RTV did its job pretty well.
came right off with a small pry bar.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do the oil cooler too whilst its up on stand.

Dipstick has an O ring

No need to remove dipstick if not leaking

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Check the front and rear areas of the pan. There are 2 bolts both front and back that are not on the pan rail as you see most of them. They screw into the front and rar seal plates. The oil pump pick up tube does not connect to the pan anywhere. If you have a cork or rubber oil pan gasket DO NOT USE IT... Just because some gasket maker has decided to make an oil pan gasket does not mean we should use one. They will leak no matter how careful you are when installing one. Use a good quality RTV. Thats what the factory used and it works great. I prefer Permatex Ultra Copper Plus. It smells and it is a red color. I have never had a leak in over 25 years using it.

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
I just pulled the pan from my 6.9
It had a Healthy dose of RTV pulled right off

Make sure you removed all bolts I think there's 20? But I'm pulling that from my ear. LOL

Ford86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got it. It was actually stuck between my oil filter. So it's off now. But know I have to remove a stupid gasket that's on their good. And I got motorcraft rtv that says for 7.3s right on it haha. I am also doing my glow plugs and there autolites:( got 2 left let's hope I'll be okay haha

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online

No members online now.