Oil Pan

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
One of the previous owners my truck must have lost the correct drain plug for the oil pan. So they found some random one that was laying around and jammed it in the pan. I have been able to get by with that for a while but today was what i think is the last oil change on this pan/plug combo.

Two options(i think at least lol), pull the pan and drill and tap the hole for a new/bigger plug or get a new pan?

So.....do I undo the motor mounts and lift the engine up enough to pull the pan with engine in frame? Pull the engine and trans out of the truck and do the pan(this is appealing right now b/c i am pretty sure my flex plate is going south, i am getting the tell tale flex plate not liking the world noise)

I like the new pan idea b/c then i can get a fumoto drain valve and NEVER have to worry about the pan thread again.

Any and all input is welcome and appreciated!!!;Sweet

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Not enough room to remove the pan and replace it in frame like you are thinking. Look up in the drain hole. See that piece of metal covering it. Thats the oil pump suction head. It drops down that low in the pan. Its nearly impossible to remove the suction line from the pump too. That line has another nut and washer on number three main bearing cap bolt too. Just pull the engine to replace the pan or....:sly Get a new drain plug at most any fakeazz auto parts store and replace what you have. They actually make plugs with threads slightly larger than what you take off. So they cut new threads in the pan. Be very careful how deep the plug goes in the pan. Contacting the suction head will dent it its that close to the bottom of the pan. Every oil change please replace the drain plug gasket too.

Reaction score
I'd combine Gary's idea with yours. That is, get a self-tapping guy in there, then install a Fumoto for the new threads and never ever deal with it again.

Mike

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
The Ford manual says you should be able to drop the oil sump into the pan and remove the whole deal. I can not attest to how difficult the re assembly would be. I can imagine that re assembling the sump while the oil pan hangs in your way would be no picnic but it should be doable. On the other hand, I can pull an engine solo in about 2.5 hours so that would be a great time to get to some nagging oil leaks and freshen things up in the engine bay. Guess its eithr less bolts more headache or more bolts more headache.LOL

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
yeah. friend of mine and his dad has pulling a pan in frame down to a science. they can do a complete pan reseal in less than a day lol. The problem is the threads in the pan are all nearly gone. i would just re-tap the hole with the pan on the engine but the thought of getting metal shavings in the engine scares the chit out of me.

gatorman21218

Reaction score
They make an oversized drain plug. its the same thread pitch it just cuts new threads. Napa has them. the size is 1/2-20

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you hang a magnet on the tap the cuttings will stick to it, I did one 9/16 and it was pretty ease, and back then I found a magnetic plug also. the oversizes also come in first and second over . Magnet on there while installing works also.

dgr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not worried about shavings in the pan. Pour a couple quarts in afterward and drain them out. Install a magnetic drain plug and done. If any shavings are floating around, they will get caught in the oil filter.
You can also get an oversized one that has a miniature drain plug in the middle of it. I would wait until 2nd oversize before I went that route as I would imagine it is some slow draining. Another option is to take a piece of steel, drill and thread it for a drain plug and then either braze, solder or weld it over the original hole.

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Even if you do get shaving in there, that's what the oil pump screen / filter is for. Not something I want in there, but between a magnet, little grease on the tap & flushing the pan there shouldn't be anything left and even if there is it'll get caught in the screen or filter.

Not saying not to be careful, just don't need to panic too badly.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I feel something else should be added to this thread bout the metal shaving getting into the pan... Its not going to happen. The larger plug is designed to "open up" new threads by enlarging the old ruined threads as a guide plus... Gravity is working with you. Not against you as if you are cutting threads down in a cylinder like a spark plug has sometimes. I see spark plug tap kits all the time on ebay for the newer engines from many differant makers. Ford is one of them. I'm sure these are aluminum heads but a chip is a chip and gravity prevails every time. Just remember you have very little room in the pan for something to stick up in there. Please... Remove the drain plug and feel up in the drain hole to know what I'm talking about.