Oil pan gasket. use or not?

zigg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've pulled 2 blocks apart recently and neither of them had a gasket on the oilpan, just lots of the black rtv stuff. Neither appeared to have any leaks.

I'm about to button up the oilpan on my rebuild, and the set of gaskets I got comes with a gasket(cork) for the oilpan.

I'm undecided if I should use it, or just go with the black rtv and be done with it.

What do you guys think?

Zigg :)

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
Zigg, In the FWIW dept, when I did the LUK swap on my '90 and the south bend job , and the current eng removal to repair the leaking timing cover on the PSD when I got new rear seals and the front cover kit they came only with some of the International tube sealant....I even have a caulking gun tube that is used for the oil pan........seems IH is moving away from pressed gaskets for the oil pans.

Shame we are not closer distance wise cause I hate to see this stuff go to waste...I would gladly send ya a tube cause apparently it does work!

The IH sealant isn't just plain sillykone or RTV either, more of a moisture cured sealant with a short working time......Removing the pan on the PSD was an interesting adventure :eek:

IDIeselman

Reaction score
Zigg, Do yourself a favor and pick up a can of the Right Stuff, a black can with orange lettering. I tryed the gasket route with my 6.9 and had to drop the pan this winter as it was leaking everywhere. I used this wonderful stuff and no more leaks :thumbsup:

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Right stuff is the way to go. It might make it harder to remove the pan in the future, but why would you need to cookoo
Almost all OEM seals are RTV anymore. With the exception of head gaskets, intake and exhaust gaskets.
Just make sure the pan and the block are clean and dry and you wont have any leaks.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I use Permatex Ultra Grey with great results. Never tried Right Stuff, but it would have to be incredible for me to switch from Ultra Grey. If both parts are clean, it will seal them no problems.

dave85

Reaction score
Good info........

for me as my oil leak has gotten to the point where it is embarrasing.
Gonna try the "replace it in the truck" plan.
dave

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
dave85 said:
for me as my oil leak has gotten to the point where it is embarrasing.
Gonna try the "replace it in the truck" plan.
dave
dave-
you must be really bored and looking for some serious abuse. if you are going to go this way, you will want to let the sillycone setup first on the pan before install or you will have a serious amount of RTV smeared all over the place.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
dbarilow said:
What kind will work best I've always used thepermatex copper will this work well for general all around use

I believe the ultra copper, is the same as the grey with a copper flake added to up the heat range. Ultra copper is supposed to be ok on exhaust, but I would never use it for that. The ultra grey is VERY tough. When permatex started selling it, they came in with two pieces of metal (aluminum) that were clean. They stuck them together with a tube of the stuff, then about 30 minutes later let us play with them. You could twist them etc. but the stuff would not tear. We finally pulled it apart after stretching the metal pieces apart about 6 inches (the original bead was probably 1/8 inch or so). I have used it ever since, including while working for and building engines for a local hi-performance shop and at the engine machine shop. Great stuff!

krawlr

Yup, that's me
Reaction score
Another big fan of ultra grey. I've had no problems with the copper either. Right stuff works fine too, great for putting down loooong beads but it doesn't store well. I'd probably grab a can of right stuff for an oil pan just to make it easy.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I think they now have the grey in a pro-pack tube that squirts itself out!! I have to tell you, that would scare me, I get the stuff all over me as is, let alone if it came out of the tube under it's own power!!! -cuss -cuss

zigg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, then, the word has been spoken!! Looks like it's the RTV for me. I've used the ultra grey a bunch on things, and I'm a fan too, but never on an oilpan, and I guess if the thing comes with a gasket, you feel like you should be using it, but having said that, I've had lots of cork gaskets leak(valve covers especially) in the past, so I'm tending to agree.

Hope to have it(the engine) complete and in this coming weekend.

Zigg :)

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Zigg, all the "Ultra" products are oil proof. I was told by a Permatex rep that is what designates it as Ultra.

Sounds like you are getting close, good luck - ah, no luck needed, you did things right it will be great.

dave85

Reaction score
Yeah.........

towcat said:
dave-
you must be really bored and looking for some serious abuse. if you are going to go this way, you will want to let the sillycone setup first on the pan before install or you will have a serious amount of RTV smeared all over the place.
I've got a couple of short business trips coming up.
My plan(and I do have one) is to jack it up and clean it off, put the RTV on and let it cure for 3 days.
Then bolt it back when I return.
Dave

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger